Developing running/fitness tracker app

no avatar
iSasFTW

Re: Developing running/fitness tracker app

Post by iSasFTW » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm

printf_$0ftw4r3 wrote:
iSasFTW wrote:Why Bitbucket Git over GitHub? If it's an open source project, wouldn't GitHub be the better option?

Bitbucket and Github both can have repos for open source projects. I don't really have a good reason for choosing bitbucket besides being more familiar with the layout haha. Are there good reasons for using github over bitbucket?

Cheers!

Well as far as version control they work pretty much the same. I'm actually more familiar with GitHub than Bitbucket, but I do have an account on both. I guess it's just easier for people to contribute since browsing projects on GitHub is so easy, and there are social login options, so it's quick to sign up if you want to contribute. Also, their mobile site is great :P

Other than that, I don't really know xD

no avatar
printf_$0ftw4r3

Post by printf_$0ftw4r3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm

iSasFTW wrote:
printf_$0ftw4r3 wrote:
iSasFTW wrote:Why Bitbucket Git over GitHub? If it's an open source project, wouldn't GitHub be the better option?

Bitbucket and Github both can have repos for open source projects. I don't really have a good reason for choosing bitbucket besides being more familiar with the layout haha. Are there good reasons for using github over bitbucket?

Cheers!

Well as far as version control they work pretty much the same. I'm actually more familiar with GitHub than Bitbucket, but I do have an account on both. I guess it's just easier for people to contribute since browsing projects on GitHub is so easy, and there are social login options, so it's quick to sign up if you want to contribute. Also, their mobile site is great :P

Other than that, I don't really know xD

Well I'm convinced, I'll put the repo on Github.

Cheers!

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Oh now that i'm thinking, one of the thing I really don't like is the buggy "social aspect" of the ticwatch companion: I don't want to share my data with anyone (otherwise I use strada/facebook..). So this app needs to be able to synch the data without the companion.
At first the GPX could be stored in a readable folder in the watch to be loaded with ADB, but maybe we can do better and send a mail though Wifi or file transfer through Bluetooth ?

no avatar
printf_$0ftw4r3

Post by printf_$0ftw4r3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 am

Hi people!

New update up top with some progress

Cheers!

no avatar
printf_$0ftw4r3

Post by printf_$0ftw4r3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:01 am

tpanda wrote:Oh now that i'm thinking, one of the thing I really don't like is the buggy "social aspect" of the ticwatch companion: I don't want to share my data with anyone (otherwise I use strada/facebook..). So this app needs to be able to synch the data without the companion.
At first the GPX could be stored in a readable folder in the watch to be loaded with ADB, but maybe we can do better and send a mail though Wifi or file transfer through Bluetooth ?

Will try this once I solve an issue involving initiating and getting the gps.

Cheers!

no avatar
printf_$0ftw4r3

Post by printf_$0ftw4r3 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 pm

UPDATE: No GPS access viewtopic.php?f=21&p=664#p664

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:06 am

Printf:
this really suck, I don't understand the argument of battery, anyone who has run 60 min knows it's sucking 20% of the battery, I don;t see how that would be different with a user app. Anyway, let's hope they change their decision soon...

no avatar
printf_$0ftw4r3

Post by printf_$0ftw4r3 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 am

New update on top post! Able to write .gpx file and retrieve it.

Cheers!

no avatar
danjger

Post by danjger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm

I am glad you are working on this. I'm new to app building but an old programmer. I use a garmin Fenix2 regularly and I'd like to start using the Ticwatch on more casual activities but their app really doesn't fill the bill. I can't even figure out how to export a gpx.
If you need testing or UI design help or even coding work let me know.
Dan

no avatar
printf_$0ftw4r3

Post by printf_$0ftw4r3 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:04 pm

danjger wrote:I am glad you are working on this. I'm new to app building but an old programmer. I use a garmin Fenix2 regularly and I'd like to start using the Ticwatch on more casual activities but their app really doesn't fill the bill. I can't even figure out how to export a gpx.
If you need testing or UI design help or even coding work let me know.
Dan

Hi,

I would like to add the features of other running watches, such as intervals, HR zones, laps, etc.; these would be very useful for runners. The tic fitness app really doesn't have much. It cannot export anything, but they said they would add runkeeper or strava sync. I will definitely need some help in the future.

Right now the main BLOCKER is no access to the live gps location. I have a work around but it is not ideal at all (mentioned in updates). I have also contacted mobvoi about gps access and they will not allow it. If people really want this app to happen we need to get mobvoi to allow gps access.

Thanks for your interest!