Tico using the internet to phone

no avatar
philowen

Tico using the internet to phone

Post by philowen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:33 pm

Is there any way of asking Tico to phone someone in my contacts list when there's no wifi connection? When driving my car through rural Wales I often need to telephone my contacts, but I get the message that there is no network. I have to find somewhere to stop to use my phone. The same happens with my handsfree iphone.

no avatar
iSasFTW

Re: Tico using the internet to phone

Post by iSasFTW » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:05 pm

philowen wrote:Is there any way of asking Tico to phone someone in my contacts list when there's no wifi connection? When driving my car through rural Wales I often need to telephone my contacts, but I get the message that there is no network. I have to find somewhere to stop to use my phone. The same happens with my handsfree iphone.

It doesn't necessarily need WiFi, Mobile data works too. The thing is, it won't work if you have poor network quality, since it uses the internet to process voice commands, it doesn't work locally.

no avatar
philowen

Post by philowen » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks for that. I thought so. The network is poor over much of rural Wales. There's often just about enough signal for a poor quality phone conversation. It's a shame it doesn't work locally.

no avatar
iSasFTW

Post by iSasFTW » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:37 am

philowen wrote:Thanks for that. I thought so. The network is poor over much of rural Wales. There's often just about enough signal for a poor quality phone conversation. It's a shame it doesn't work locally.

The phone calls happen via bluetooth on your mobile device. The only thing that doesn't work is calling by voice. You are still able to do it via the dialer app.

I do wish they had something where it could do some specific commands like "call" or "send a message" locally, kind of like Google Now.

no avatar
tically-tic

Post by tically-tic » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 am

+1 for commands like "call" or "send a message" locally

Problem is that can't be accomplished easily. Look at Watson and maybe the ideas will come :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rTl1WEbg5U