How do we connect the developer dock?

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Kravock
Cash on hand: Locked

How do we connect the developer dock?

Post by Kravock » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:48 pm

Any idea how we connect the developer dock to the watch?

no avatar
sevenapps

Re: How do we connect the developer dock?

Post by sevenapps » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am

I think the pins actually do connect with the watch, the positioning is right, not sure how it would work but i think you take off the wristband and plug the watch in, the diameters are correct so taking the watch further apart is no option.

Still don't understand how the pins would connect without any pin connectors visible.

no avatar
lethala

Post by lethala » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:49 am

Can someone from mobvoi provide instructions for doing development through the dock? Is there a special mobvoi usb driver required? I think I know how it works but I'm not sure I want to proceed without official direction.

Here's what I figured out so far:

Step 1: Remove both parts of the band by sliding the small metal balls away from the edge of the band to unlatch them from the watch.
Step 2: There is a black sticker on underside of the part of the watch where the band attaches. Carefully remove it exposing six contact points. A razor blade makes a good tool for getting under the sticker to lift it off.
step 3: Carefully position the watch in the cradle so that the for pins on the dock align with the contact points in the watch. The pins are spring loaded. Engage the clamping device so that the watch is firmly pressed against the pins.
step 4: Plug the USB cable from the dock into your development computer.

I haven't tried step four yet out of an abundance of caution. I'm not sure if it's safe for the watch to have it turned on or to have the dock plugged in while inserting the watch into the dock. I'm inclined to wait for official instructions before powering up the dock. If anyone feels like going further in the meantime, let me know how it works out. :)

no avatar
tartane

Post by tartane » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:02 am

so i did these steps, but when i plug it in my computer, it doesn't do anything. I realized that there's six pin on the watch, but on my dev dock there are only 4 (2 seems to be missing). Can somebody confirm if this is normal or not? maybe it broke during the packaging or something

no avatar
Kravock

Post by Kravock » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:52 am

tartane wrote:so i did these steps, but when i plug it in my computer, it doesn't do anything. I realized that there's six pin on the watch, but on my dev dock there are only 4 (2 seems to be missing). Can somebody confirm if this is normal or not? maybe it broke during the packaging or something

I've only got 4 on mine too.

no avatar
lethala

Post by lethala » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Four pins is correct. USB requires 4 connections, 2 for power and 2 for data. You need a usb driver on the computer side in order to talk to the watch. Some devices work with the standard google driver but others require a custom driver. I don't know what the what the ticwatch needs, but the instructions for using the google driver are here: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb.html. I haven't had time to try it yet so I don't know if it will work. If not, Mobvoi needs to provide us with the correct driver.

no avatar
EpicLPer

Post by EpicLPer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:04 pm

I took off the plastic cover on mine but... nothing? I mean, I don't own a dev version of the watch but shouldn't it still be the same?

Can someone maybe probe the contacts from the dev dock and provide a pinout so others can try to make a "homebrew cable" without buying a dev dock?

Screw it, I found them. They're under a lot of glue gunk still!

no avatar
EpicLPer

Post by EpicLPer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:19 pm

If anyone is wondering, here are a few pictures. You still have to remove some gunk to expose them!
I'll try to figure out if you can connect a normal USB lead to it somehow.