Tichome Mini Dead

Moderators: Aathif Mahir, Chintannapster, Sabertooth

no avatar
KSbacker11
Cash on hand: Locked

Tichome Mini Dead

Post by KSbacker11 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:43 am

I got the Tichome Mini for Christmas in 2017, but the battery no longer holds a charge and now the speaker will not stay on. It will power on, but shortly after will die. I’ve made sure the cord is charging, but it is still not staying on.

I saw that there was a one year warranty, but what about after that? The speaker isn’t even a year and a half old.

I even backed the Ticwatch 2 on Kickstarter, but it looks like they don't even sell the Tichome mini anymore. If Mobvoi realized that their batteries are bad enough to pull them off the shelves, I sincerely hope that they will still help out your loyal customers who believed in them.

Has anyone cracked one of these things open and tried to replace the battery?

no avatar
eferra

Re: Tichome Mini Dead

Post by eferra » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 pm

I have exactly the same problem and I also purchased it for Christmas 2017... :x

no avatar
Brint3

Post by Brint3 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:34 am

I received my Tichome Mini as a Christmas present in 2017. Neither I nor the gift giver have an order number, receipt, or any other proof of purchase. All I have is a dead device. For a while, I could coax it on by repeatedly resetting, powering down, power cycling, and powering up. But then it quit in the middle of a radio broadcast. When I try to power cycle or factory reset, the lights blink as though something were happening, but then...nothing. So I disconnected the mini-USB connector and pressed the power button. Presto, no lights, no activity, no nothing. It's reasonable to assume, therefore, that the battery is bad. There have been similar reports. So, just as with other products with non-user-replacable batteries, (notably some Apple phones), I decided to find and replace the battery. I have been able to loosen the case just above the metal band, but something is preventing it from opening completely. It's as though the two case halves continue to be joined near the center. Beneath the rubber cover on the bottom are four screws, which I have undone. But there's a black button with no evidence of how to remove it. This may be what's holding the case together. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know or post here. Also, if you want to know how to get as far as I have, just write or post. I'll be pleased to share. Mobvoi insists that what I'm trying to do is impossible, citing "smartphones" as evidence. But I've never seen a smartphone or tablet that couldn't be entered.

no avatar
eferra

Post by eferra » Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 pm

At this point I I'm inclined to think this issue might have been caused by Mobvoi. I managed to open the mini and replaced the battery but it keeps acting exactly as before. If you want to try it out yourselves, remove the rubber padding glued to the bottom of the unit and this will give you access to 4 screws.

no avatar
eferra

Post by eferra » Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Fixed!

The original battery has 3 wires going to the connector, you can use a new battery with only +- wires using the original connector. Just leave the center one unplugged.

no avatar
byrontut

Tichome Mini Dead

Post by byrontut » Sat May 18, 2019 8:59 pm

dont know Steve, the output on my big HP charger the charger weighs more than my Mini is 19v but its 180watt and I dont think I would plug that into my Mini even if the plug did fit.....

no avatar
powerkatwedel

Post by powerkatwedel » Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 pm

eferra - what battery did you use (link) ? Does the unit function as it did with the original battery and all 3 wires? Thank's for the help.