Re: Ticwatch S & E battery life

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Steven1312
Cash on hand: Locked

Post by Steven1312 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 am

The watch battery can be use less than 10hrs

the watch wake up is very slow, have to wait more than 3 second then only can watch the time. What is the issue?

no avatar
Crewey

Post by Crewey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:56 pm

zeiphon wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 am
Crewey wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm
My battery Life was not good after charging out of the box. After one charge cycle and changing a few settings I can easily get 24 hours on a single charge.
Hey Crewey, which settings are you using?

I get probably about 10-12 hours max if i'm lucky, with the following:

Wifi: Off
Bluetooth: On
Bluetooth audio/phone: Off
Always-on screen: On, with OPR of 1.1% (extremely dim)
Tilt to wake: Off
Fit\Health apps: Disabled
Notification previews: Display 5 sec
Ok Google: Off
Brightness: 1 or 2

My usage is not heavy, mostly to read occasional notifications and use google assistant every now and then (when the bluetooth is actually connected, which it often isn't)
Wifi: Off
Bluetooth: On
Bluetooth audio/phone: Off
Always-on screen: Usually I have this off but recently I've had it on, which has affected battery life a little. It seems a bit laggy when using tilt to wake.
Tilt to wake: Off
Wrist gestures: Off
Play phone voice call on watch: Off
Fit\Health apps: Disabled
Notification previews: Normal - show for 5 sec
Ok Google: Off
Brightness: 3
I also have stayed clear of Facer and Watchmaker. I been alternating between Ticwatches's Colorful and and Blues watch faces.

Today I took my watch off charge at 5AM and at 5:48 pm I'm at 41% approximately 9 hours remaining according to the app.

no avatar
Obiwanhug

Post by Obiwanhug » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Well today, like other users, I'm almost sure that the battery problem is in fact a software problem. I get this conclusion supported by this experiment:
Saturday between 9 and 11 a.m. charged the watch; between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. use the watch normally (WiFi off, GPS off, screen always on off), and battery went to 89% (I consider that a lot because I have a LG G Watch R that with the same definitions last almost 48h); since I will not use the watch much during the weekend I activate the fly mode; during the Sunday I turn off the fly mode and used the watch normally again during 1 hour, putting again after use in fly mode. Today, Monday, at 11 p.m., meaning, 48 hours after charging the watch present 38% of battery... So my conclusion is that something related with the Bluetooth of the watch is draining the battery! Hopefully mobvoi will solve that on the next update..
or at least is what I expect!

no avatar
pcas

Post by pcas » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:02 pm

I tried the experiment. I went to bed and turned the watch to airplane mode. I had 88% when I did that. About 7 hours later when I woke up I had 88%. So something about the bluetooth connection / use is killing the battery. Part is likely watch faces talking to the phone. I also wonder if watch faces update when the screen is off. If the face is updating it will use battery, and depending on what it does, bluetooth as well. If it updates only when screen is on shouldn't be draining much battery.

Can someone from the company comment on:
- bluetooth: is the connection persistent and is there always dataflow even when sitting on the table overnight? does it use BLE?
- watch faces: do they know if the screen is off? does the company's watch faces stop updating when the screen is off?

no avatar
loicdeschamps

Post by loicdeschamps » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 am

Hi

i noticed that the night the watch lost 11% (between 22h to 7h00). I think there is an issue with doze mode

regards

no avatar
pcas

Post by pcas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:12 pm

I agree. I also tried airplane mode. With a simple face it barely drained any battery overnight. With a face that communicates it drained battery (20+%) over night. I wonder if the watchOS isn't telling the watchface that there is no connection. Without a connection a watchafce shouldn't try to update. The other possibility is that the face doesn't know the screen is off and is trying toupdate and perhaps communicate.

no avatar
pcas

Post by pcas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Here are some things I am doing to improve battery life:

- one simple one is to put the watch in airplane mode when i go to bed. wish there was this capability built in or it put it in airplane mode to match my phone do not disturb times. didn't see an app that can do this either and I don't think the watch has apis to support this.

- turned off smart unlock. this was definitely eating more battery than i'd expect. does the watch use BLE for this or a regular bluetooth persistent connection? didn't seem to bother my pebble but I can see it impacting the watch.

- as others have pointed out watchface used makes a big difference. i'd think a watchface wouldn't use any much when the screen is off, but it seems like this isn't the case. i guess developers can do a bad job on implementation of any software so not a surprise. but if i was google i'd have an option to sleep the watchface when the screen is off, independent of the watch API use. they have this for the phone in Andorid 7+.

- biggest annoyance is the lag on tilt.

no avatar
florent

Post by florent » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi,

I think the battery problem is 100% software, Wear OS must be buggy. I noticed today that my battery percentage went up despite not plugging the watch in...

no avatar
Culpjp

Post by Culpjp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

I find any watch face that has the current weather showing uses more battery. Also if you log a work out that will use up more battery. The fitness app tracks your heart rate constantly when the fitness app is running. With the right watch face I can easily get over 24 hours of battery life.

no avatar
Sonny G

Post by Sonny G » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Before I had connection issues. With the recent update, that was fixed. I was happy again.

But then I realized with the new update, my battery life is GONE. :evil: Ticwatch is really ticking me off.

I have used at least 3 other Smartwatches and can't remember having these many issues with them. Perhaps today being the first day after the update, I will give it few more days. If it doesn't work then I will add to my collection. Very disappointed.