Ticwatch E: Standalone GPS not working

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
Mandraxxx
Cash on hand: Locked

Ticwatch E: Standalone GPS not working

Post by Mandraxxx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 am

Hi,

I'm trying to use standalone GPS present in watch with Google Maps and other fitness application but it can't detect my location.
Tried connecting to Wifi but it just can't find my location.

please assist to make gps working on phone.

no avatar
gmincca

Re: Ticwatch E: Standalone GPS not working

Post by gmincca » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:18 am

Hi,

GPS works well on mine (much faster lock than my old Moto 360 sport) finding a lock in about 20 seconds. One thing I learned with the Moto after AW2 update was to make sure to sync the watch with the app before using it outside without the phone. I'm pretty sure (being mediatek CPU) the watch GPS response is enhanced by downloaded AGPS data that tells it day to day where to look for satellite GPS and this reaches the watch through the online app. Without the AGPS data it can take well over 10 minutes to find satellites!
Hopefully Samfong or someone from Mobvoi can confirm this for us.

no avatar
asaristar

Post by asaristar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:55 am

same issue with me , can't use the GPS standalone to locate on the Google Map

no avatar
OlivierDD

Post by OlivierDD » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem. Received my watch S on Friday.
Tried switching off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth on.
Nothing works. Keeps searching!

Please advise.

no avatar
tams2182

Post by tams2182 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:34 am

The standalone GPS keep searching for location forever until I turn the my phone GPS to on. It means I can not track my position without my phone with me. Mine is Ticwatch E.

no avatar
sftan6

Post by sftan6 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Same issue here on E. From the watch connectivity, I saw the watch location is from watch and phone, but why? I thought in the KS campaign it say can be standalone. I tried only connecting my watch to wifi with Bluetooth disable, I can't use map, can't detect location. However, when my watch connected to wifi and connected to phone through Bluetooth, it can detect my location although I didn't turn on my phone gps. I want to use my watch as standalone gps without the phone as I wan connect Bluetooth headphone to the watch. Help needed!

no avatar
sftan6

Post by sftan6 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 pm

same issue on my E. When i go to the connectivity setting on the watch, i saw location is from watch and phone, but why? I thought in the KS campaign it say that we can leave our phone while we can rely on the built in gps? i connect my watch through wifi, but cant use map, searching for location problem. However, when i connected my watch to standalone wifi and connect the watch to my phone through bluetooth, it works although i didn't turn on my phone's GPS. I wanted to connect Bluetooth headphone to my watch while having active navigation, help needed!!

no avatar
ckoon93

Post by ckoon93 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 am

Google maps take forever to locate my watch, mobvoi please fix the asap. :(

no avatar
AndyDaws

Post by AndyDaws » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Same here no tracking away from phone or Wi-Fi to emulate disable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and watch just keeps searching

Reset to factory
Updated to latest
Toggled location sharing
Different tracking software
All no good

Reference the sales specs that say has GPS just in body rather than in strap

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... smartwatch

no avatar
AndyDaws

Post by AndyDaws » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:18 pm

May not be help for everyone but got my GPS working standalone or otherwise now.

I did factory reset on the watch followed by full updates of all apps. This did not work so raised a return request (just wanted an exchange really but no option it seemed).

Any way while waiting for return information I was searching around for other people's information on the issue. I came across someone using gnss app (nice app shows Sat's in sky and signal level) from this that confirmed e did have GPS some were unsure and I was beginning to wonder.

So I thought let's factory reset again do all updates installed gnss and I could see and lock on lovely sats. Google Maps etc then all working

:-)