Tilt to Wake DOESN'T work 95% of the time

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
ckoon93
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Tilt to Wake DOESN'T work 95% of the time

Post by ckoon93 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:07 am

The tilt to wake gesture definitely need a fix and it is very slow(1-2sec to wake), this issue forced me to turn on always on display :(

no avatar
vinay

Post by vinay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Indian Backer. Got my ticwatch yesterday .
The gesture sensitivity is horrible.. Running with Always on display just because of that.
"Ok google" doesn't work either.

no avatar
Proffrink313

Post by Proffrink313 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

ckoon93 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:07 am
The tilt to wake gesture definitely need a fix and it is very slow(1-2sec to wake), this issue forced me to turn on always on display :(
I think that this is the true heart of the issue. The watch recognizes the wrist-flick gesture; but, the watch takes up to two seconds to actually process the gesture and complete the display function.

I don't think that this can be solved through a software patch because it's the lower-end processing chip that's causing the problem.

no avatar
claudeb

Post by claudeb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Since my last post mine has improved a lot! Is there some AI in there?

no avatar
jdcarib15

Post by jdcarib15 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 am

Going to chime in and say that I'm having the same issue. BUT I have essentially figured out the "gesture method" to get it to work most of the time. You essentially have to tilt the watch away from you and then toward you but when you tilt it toward you, you have to turn your wrist more than you normally would... almost uncomfortably so. Once you finish the turn hold your arm still and the screen should appear.

Is this a solution? I guess... but is this how it should be? Definitely not. Tilt-to-wake is an "essential function" for every watch user. It should be responsive and easy to use. We shouldn't have to make exaggerated movements to get this function to work. What's more, the delay should be non-existent. Mobovi, here is what I think needs to be done:

1. Update the software to give your users a gesture "sensitivity" option. This will allow us to perfect how sensitive a wrist movement needs to be to effectively wake the watch.
2. Update the software to give your users a "wake delay time" option. This will allow us to control how quickly the screen pops up after the gesture is made and how long the screen stays lit.
3. Update the software for a "shake-to-wake" option. This will allow us to aggressively flick our wrist to wake the watch.

It would be really nice of Mobovi to reply to this chain with their thoughts as so far Sam Fong hasn't reacted since the initial comment.

no avatar
elusivefds

Post by elusivefds » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 am

can someone from mobvoi confirm us whether it can be fixed.
if not then i will simply return it, before the 30 days policy

no avatar
darwenmint@gmail.com

Post by darwenmint@gmail.com » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 pm

So far I've been happy with the watch, but it's becoming annoying not having the tilt to wake function working consistently. This is the only obvious problem so far, but I suspect there maybe others.

no avatar
Doctorsaad

Post by Doctorsaad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 am

Having the same issue . It only seems to work when you do it gently and keep your wrist parallel to the ground. It's so easy on my pebble time steel.
Kindly fix this soon.

Also anyone having issues with Bluetooth?
It says disconnected on my watch but still notifications are working but when I use Google Assistant it says connect to Bluetooth.

no avatar
elusivefds

Post by elusivefds » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:08 am

still no reply yet?
is mobvoi trying to hide from us until the 30day return period is expired?

no avatar
samfong
Mobvoi Team

Post by samfong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

Hi all! I have checked with the team (showed them your videos and all).

Their response is that the gesture has to be quick and large enough for the sensors to detect it. Slowly moving your arm will not trigger the sensors.

I will feedback that the sensors need to be more sensitive, however I believe that there should be a way to get it to work most of the time (with the right gesture). If anyone has done more testing on this, it would be great it you guys can share with us here!