Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

Aathif Mahir
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Ticwatch Pro won't charge

Post by Aathif Mahir » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:57 am

p.allen48 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 am
Same problem. Over £200 spent on a product that now sits on the shelf 1 year later. All the watch does is get a little warm when on charge but nothing else. I have sent a message to Mobvoi, Let's see if they do anything. I'm not optimistic though.
Hi allen48,

We are really very sorry for the issue your facing with charging cradle, Please contact support@mobvoi.com for replacement charging Cradle.

Aathif Mahir
Mobvoi Lead Moderator

no avatar
p_murphy

Post by p_murphy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:54 am

I am considering buying the new version of the Tickwatch Pro 4G when its released (provided it'll work with the EE network here in the UK and it is not locked to any single particular network - if it is locked to just one network in any given country, that'll be a deal breaker for me). It concerns me to read in this thread that (at least one version) of the Tickwatch Pro must have hooked up to its charging cradle a USB charger which operates at 5 Volts BUT WHICH IS CAPABLE OF OUTPUTTING THIS AT NO MORE THAN 1 AMP. The reason for my concern is that current consumption is a result of whats going on with the 'load' ie the charging cradle and the watch in it. If you don't want a current draw above one amp, assuming the supply is capable of more than 1 A at 5 V, then you need to design a regulation system into the charging cradle and watch that will prevent this.

I have a very reliable Anker USB PowerPoint 5 to which I hook up my phone, Bluetooth earbuds, tablets and anything else that requires USB charging. I like the idea of just the one mains connection being required but 5 USB ports being available. The output for each port is rated at 5 Volts up to 2.4 Amps and this device is not capable of changing its output voltage to undertake 'fast charging'. I do hope that such a new 4G watch will be able to cope with this supply or other similar supplies made by manufacturers known for quality products.

no avatar
levi.gpacc

Post by levi.gpacc » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:21 am

So today the charger failed again -- the third one to fail since I bought the watch in March 2019. The first two were replaced by Mobvoi under warranty.

Been plugged into a 500mA charger if that matters.

It's quite a sad state of affairs when a company apparently elects to not fix quality issues but instead replace faulty units under warranty -- especially with something as simple as a charger that should normally last far beyond the main product's obsolescence.

Oh well. Lesson learned. No more TicWatches for me.

no avatar
9k2/s53co

Post by 9k2/s53co » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 am

Hey levi.gpacc,

same for me, lesson learned - no more TicWatch... ever.
Already advised some people not to go for Ticwatch as charging is really big "fail".

no avatar
gargmukul121

Post by gargmukul121 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

no avatar
tjggriffin1

Post by tjggriffin1 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:16 am

Is this problem only with the Pro, or do all Ticwatches require a low amp charger? Can some one explain why it fails? My understanding is that are not "push out" amps. How does a higher amp charger damage the cradle? How do quick chargers work? Is it increased voltage? Amperage? If the watch does not have quick charging, and the cradle does not draw more that 1 amp, what's going on?

At some point, Ticwatch said they had redesigned the cradle to handle greater voltages. At the same time, the say to only use chargers rate at no more than 1 amp. So what exactly does "handles higher voltage" mean? When does a charger output grater voltage?

Finally, I bought my watch in early 2019, and found out due to this charger issue, that their warranty is only valid if the watch was purchased through an authorized dealer. Mine wasn't. Does anyone know if they are replacing chargers even if they were not purchased from a dealer?

My replacement cradle is failing so I need to do something...

Thanks for any info!

no avatar
nickdjurovich

Post by nickdjurovich » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:22 am

I bought the TicWatch pro Nov 2018 and was happy with it for a long while.

But as with others, charging became an issue.

I currently have it plugged into my PC USB 2.0 to ensure it's a lowly 500mA.

It is constantly connecting / disconnecting to my PC with an accompanying connecting/disconnect sound which after a while is torterous and have to disconnect the cable.

The watch face is just flipping between the charge screen and the normal display. it's preposterous that a £200 watch has a problem with a charging cradle.

Even in 2018 we had fast chargers and it was an obvious trend that they were only going to get more powerful. If the cradle has no power regulation it should have been supplied with its own mains plug.

I spend more times trying to charge it than wearing it and it does get warm now, even on 500mA.

Looking for a new watch :/