Steps Vs distance

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Emsiger
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Emsiger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:05 pm

Dear Aathif, dear Moderator`s, dear Mobvoi Team,

I personally opened this threat beginning of Mai 2019 and the issue still persist. Till now we got no desent feedback, except to be patient and the issue is under investigation.
What I like to know now:
- does anybody from the mobvoi team could reproduce the described failure? (according to this threat here, more people recognized the same problem.
- what is the root cause for the failure? (software or hardware failure)
- what is the decission from the mobvoi team? Can this issue fixed? and and when can we expect any changes?

If the failure belongs to the hardware (Ticwatch pro) I like to see an offer from Mobvoi to replace or repair my watch by warranty.

I paid for this smartwatch over 200 € and I expect 100% functionality.

brgs emsiger

User avatar
Aathif Mahir
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Aathif Mahir » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Emsiger wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:05 pm
Dear Aathif, dear Moderator`s, dear Mobvoi Team,

I personally opened this threat beginning of Mai 2019 and the issue still persist. Till now we got no desent feedback, except to be patient and the issue is under investigation.
What I like to know now:
- does anybody from the mobvoi team could reproduce the described failure? (according to this threat here, more people recognized the same problem.
- what is the root cause for the failure? (software or hardware failure)
- what is the decission from the mobvoi team? Can this issue fixed? and and when can we expect any changes?

If the failure belongs to the hardware (Ticwatch pro) I like to see an offer from Mobvoi to replace or repair my watch by warranty.

I paid for this smartwatch over 200 € and I expect 100% functionality.

brgs emsiger
Hi Emsiger,

We are really very sorry for the issue your encountering for a while with TicWatch Pro, Hopefully we'd get you a fair solution for this issue very soon.

Aathif Mahir
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Emsiger
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Emsiger » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 am

Dear Aathif,
Thx for your feedback, but it does not answering any of my questions.
Brgds Emsiger

User avatar
Aathif Mahir
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Aathif Mahir » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 am

Emsiger wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 am
Dear Aathif,
Thx for your feedback, but it does not answering any of my questions.
Brgds Emsiger
Hi Emsiger,

I know it's been very long since you reported this issue, We are stressing our engineer for solution on this issue. Hopefully we'll get you a better solution for this very soon.

Aathif Mahir
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
alexigor93
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by alexigor93 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am

This is getting absurd. 250€ device and it can't even count distance properly. All you need to do is correcting a stupid algorithm.
More than four months has passed since the first post and we still don't have any news. At least tell us that you don't care at all!

User avatar
garrywadams
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by garrywadams » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 am

@alexigor93, @Emsiger,
I share your concern and understand your frustration.
This question was asked a long time ago and you have yet to receive an adequate response.

At the root of it this is a matter of how the Mobvoi app suite is calculating your steps based on the health information in your profile (height, weight, age, etc.). The algorithm that determines your stride length is hard-coded into the software. There is not currently an option to manually set your stride length. In other words, this is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

I will also say that Aathif has been actively working with the Mobvoi software team on this. He brings it up in discussion multiple times each week. This forum is moderated by members of the community in conjunction with Mobvoi. Aathif devotes his time to this forum because he cares and wants a better ecosystem. That should be the goal of anyone posting to these forums.

We will continue to bring this up with the software team and will share our findings or next steps with you once we have something of substance to share. It's not always easy to throw something new into the mix of existing software development cycles. We do appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention and will continue to work together toward a resolution.

Thanks.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Emsiger
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Emsiger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Dear garrywadams,

thx for your honest feedback in this matter. I understand that a quick software change is not always easy but I would like to ask you, for possible news here?
Even if you say *The algorithm that determines your stride length is hard-coded into the software*, in my opinion the problem could be solved easily, if the stride length can be entered manually in the Profil, like in other Apps, or Google Fit.

As we all know the tic watch pro is not only a watch, but also a fitness tracker. But it's not use, if the fitness tracker doesn't work properly and doesn't calculate plausible.

How do you feel about a purchased item, which doesn't work properly or can not used as expected?
I'm really sure you and everybody else will be upset and unhappy with it.

So, I'm looking forward that the problem can be solved in the near future.

brgds Emsiger

User avatar
Aathif Mahir
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Aathif Mahir » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:53 am

Emsiger wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 pm
Dear garrywadams,

thx for your honest feedback in this matter. I understand that a quick software change is not always easy but I would like to ask you, for possible news here?
Even if you say *The algorithm that determines your stride length is hard-coded into the software*, in my opinion the problem could be solved easily, if the stride length can be entered manually in the Profil, like in other Apps, or Google Fit.

As we all know the tic watch pro is not only a watch, but also a fitness tracker. But it's not use, if the fitness tracker doesn't work properly and doesn't calculate plausible.

How do you feel about a purchased item, which doesn't work properly or can not used as expected?
I'm really sure you and everybody else will be upset and unhappy with it.

So, I'm looking forward that the problem can be solved in the near future.

brgds Emsiger
Hi Emsiger,

We understand your concern and we'll mark this as feature request and share with our engineer's.

Aathif Mahir
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Emsiger
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Emsiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Dear Aathif and Moderators,

by coincident I found out the following and I would like to share it with you.

First of all we talk about to different apps, which belongs to this problem.
1) *Tic exercise* in German *Tic Übung* recognized the step length according to the data in my profil very well. Pls see screenshot attached.
In my case the app calculated an average from 0,6 m which is almost correct.
As summary from the exersice with approx 16500 steps we reached a distans from 9,9 km. This is a correct result I guess.

2) The second app Tic Health misscalculated 16500 steps to a distance from 19,3 km which is almost 10 km far from the correct result. I believe there is only a calculation error (misscalculation) in the Tic Health app, nothing else. Pls see screenshot as well.

Can ou pls look into it, because I'm interessted to solve the problem.

brds Emsiger

User avatar
Aathif Mahir
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Steps Vs distance

Post by Aathif Mahir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:41 am

Emsiger wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:33 pm
Dear Aathif and Moderators,

by coincident I found out the following and I would like to share it with you.

First of all we talk about to different apps, which belongs to this problem.
1) *Tic exercise* in German *Tic Übung* recognized the step length according to the data in my profil very well. Pls see screenshot attached.
In my case the app calculated an average from 0,6 m which is almost correct.
As summary from the exersice with approx 16500 steps we reached a distans from 9,9 km. This is a correct result I guess.

2) The second app Tic Health misscalculated 16500 steps to a distance from 19,3 km which is almost 10 km far from the correct result. I believe there is only a calculation error (misscalculation) in the Tic Health app, nothing else. Pls see screenshot as well.

Can ou pls look into it, because I'm interessted to solve the problem.

brds Emsiger
Hi Emsiger,

Thanks for providing the details about the long step discrepancy problem. I'll share with our engineers for further testing with calculation. And also would you mind sending a mail to support@mobvoi.com by briefly explaining the issue with screenshots.

Aathif Mahir
Mobvoi Global Moderator

Post Reply