Ticwatch pro charging issues

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
james2
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:30 pm
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by james2 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 pm

I dont see how a higher output capable brick or USB source could possibly burn out the charger.
The amps are what the charger brick/source is capable of outputting, not what its pushing into the device that is connected.
That is not how electronics work...

If the brick is rated to 2.4A, but your device only uses 500mA, then it will only draw 500mA.
If your brick is rated to 500mA and your device needs 1A, then you will get 500mA and it will either not work or it will charge slower.

2.4A does not mean the charger is pushing 2.4A into your watch.

All this sounds like a cop out for something else going on.

no avatar
cdelliott
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:01 pm
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by cdelliott » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:23 pm

james2 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 pm
I dont see how a higher output capable brick or USB source could possibly burn out the charger.
The amps are what the charger brick/source is capable of outputting, not what its pushing into the device that is connected.
That is not how electronics work...

If the brick is rated to 2.4A, but your device only uses 500mA, then it will only draw 500mA.
If your brick is rated to 500mA and your device needs 1A, then you will get 500mA and it will either not work or it will charge slower.

2.4A does not mean the charger is pushing 2.4A into your watch.

All this sounds like a cop out for something else going on.
I agree. I have a professional background in electronics and I agree with your electrical theory here.

My original charger died on me (wouldn't charge lastnight) so I put my USB tester between the old USB power adapter (Samsung adaptive charger that I got with one of my old Samsung Note phones) that I've been using and the bad charger. Without the charger (i.e. the USB adapter unloaded) I get 5.03V/0.00A as expected. With the bad charger (no watch) I get 4.99V/0.10A. If I put a phone on the charger there is no change. With my spare charger (that I got so I could charge in a different room if needed, and eventually to work into a 3D printed watch charging holder) without the watch I get the same as w/o the charger, 5.03V/0.00A. I drop my watch on the spare charger and charging starts. In a few minutes the load settles to 5.01V/0.38A.

Something definitely died in the original charger that is loading down the adapter. I'll probably tear down the original (bad) charger once I've exercised a warranty claim on it, and I now plan on keeping one unused spare charger on-hand in case I have another one die on me.

no avatar
stevewright265
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by stevewright265 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:50 am

My Ticwatch pro refuses to charge every 3 weeks or so. I find cleaning the contacts on the watch and charger using meths on a cotton bud solves the problem. I think it is just a build up of oil from the skin causing the issue. I am still going to get rid of it and try to find a more reliable watch though.

User avatar
paolocorpo
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:41 pm
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by paolocorpo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:45 am

garrywadams wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:15 pm
Are you using the original charger?
What is the power rating of the brick you have it connected to?
Some chargers have had issues burning out if the brick you are using outputs greater than 1.5A. If that is the case and your charger cradle is damaged, you will need to replace it.
Replacement charger docks are available on the Mobvoi website for about $20.
https://www.mobvoi.com/us/collections/accessories
If your watch is still under warranty, you can also try submitting a warranty claim with Mobvoi.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator
Dear moderator
I am going to have the same issue
I have already asked and obtained under warranty the spare part of my charger
But unfortunately I don't remeber the link/correct flow to achieve the ricght assistance by Mobvoi
Can you please let detail for all us the right way ?
Thanks
Paolo

User avatar
garrywadams
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by garrywadams » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:04 am

Any standard USB Charger that outputs 5V 1A should work.
Is that what you were asking?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
berman
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by berman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:08 pm

My Ticwatch 3 pro came with a charging cable but nothing that plugs into the wall. I am only seeing a white battery icon on the display. Am I missing a part that should have been in the box? What voltage and amperage of power source do I need for this cable to work at all? And what voltage and amperage of power source will result in the fastest charging?
garrywadams wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:04 am
Any standard USB Charger that outputs 5V 1A should work.
Is that what you were asking?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator
garrywadams wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:15 pm
Are you using the original charger?
What is the power rating of the brick you have it connected to?
Some chargers have had issues burning out if the brick you are using outputs greater than 1.5A. If that is the case and your charger cradle is damaged, you will need to replace it.
Replacement charger docks are available on the Mobvoi website for about $20.
https://www.mobvoi.com/us/collections/accessories
If your watch is still under warranty, you can also try submitting a warranty claim with Mobvoi.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

User avatar
garrywadams
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Ticwatch pro charging issues

Post by garrywadams » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:33 am

You are not missing anything. The watch only comes with a charging cradle.
You can use the USB port on your computer to charge, or any USB charging brick that has an output of 1A or less.

Since the TicWatch doesn't support rapid charging, any charger with the specs above should produce the same results.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

Post Reply