Ticwatch E-Replacement Watch and STILL NO NOTIFICATIONS!!!

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Cfjean06
Cash on hand: Locked

Ticwatch E-Replacement Watch and STILL NO NOTIFICATIONS!!!

Post by Cfjean06 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:15 pm

I didn't have my original TicWatch E for 8 months and the battery would die out and notifications stopped coming. Contacted customer service and I got a brand new watch last week..and I'm receiving no notifications to my phone. Wear OS says notifications are being sent to the 2atch but nothing shows up. Now the watch shows the wrong time. This is ridiculous!!! Help!

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Re: Ticwatch E-Replacement Watch and STILL NO NOTIFICATIONS!!!

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Greetings Cfjean06!

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues with the Ticwatch E. I have a Ticwatch E myself and can say categorically that's not the normal experience. I'm happy to help you try to resolve the issue but I must warn you that it will require a bit of effort of your part to help us figure this out.

Since this is your second watch, we will assume for the moment that we don't have a watch specific hardware issue and focus on the software and/or an incompatibility as the possible cause. The first step is to gather specific information about your setup and configuration.

To begin with, can you provide information about your phone and the watch as follows.

Watch model number and build number and firmware version (you'll find this under settings/system/about on the watch).

Your phone make and model and android version (you'll find this in the settings/system/about phone/ hardware info and software info)

Do you have the Bluetooth connection between the watch and phone?
On your watch, open the settings/connectivity/bluetooth. Is your phone listed and shown as connected?
On your phone, open the settings/connected devices/bluetooth. Is the Ticwatch E 786P listed?

Do you have the Mobvoi app installed on your phone? Is your watch shown in the app as connected?
Tap the person icon and then tap About. What is the version number shown?

You mentioned Wear OS so I'll assume it's installed. Does the Wear OS app show your Ticwatch? Does it show as connected via Bluetooth?
Tap the three dots on the right and select about. What is the version of Wear OS shown?

With this information, I'll know what to ask about next. This is a process and may take a little time. If we can find an incompatibility, I may need to put you directly in touch with an engineer to resolve the issue. Please be patient as we work through the problem.

Note: the specific location of the information may be somewhat specific to your phone and android version so can vary from what I mentioned above in which case you'll have to hunt for it.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Cfjean06

Post by Cfjean06 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:13 pm

Thank you Sabertooth!

Watch Information:
Model: TicWatch E
Model #: WF12086
Build Number: OWDR.180307.020

Phone Information:
Samsung S8+
Android 9

Yes, I have bluetooth connection but it comes and goes.
Yes I have the Mobvoi app on my phone and it shows from time to time that the watch is connected:Version 3.80-471.307
Yes I have Wear OS on my phone as well: Version 2.25.0.254020683.gms

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:02 am

Greetings Cfjean06!

Thanks for the information. So far the version numbers are looking okay. Please check one additional version number, the Wear OS version on the watch located under settings/system/about/versions.

I need to be specific about whether you see the watch in the phones Bluetooth section and the phone in the watches Bluetooth section as described previously. Please confirm that you see them listed. It's important to the troubleshooting steps. We might waste time on things that won't help otherwise.

Due to instabilities that can arise over time, please first restart your phone then the watch before beginning.

Since you previously had a Ticwatch E attached, I think it would be best for you to reset both the Wear OS and Mobvoi apps on your phone. There is a possibility that the old watch data is confusing or conflicting with the new watch. This will however reset these apps to their first run state. To do this, go in to the setting on your phone and locate app info (under apps and notifications). In the list of apps locate the Mobvoi and Wear OS apps, tap each one and then tap storage and finally clear data to remove the old data.

Open the Mobvoi app and log in. ALLOW any permissions requested. Tap the watch card and again ALLOW any permissions requested. Tap health center then tap the person icon on the upper right. Enter your personal data for proper fitness tracking. Upload health data to server must be ON. Tap Data Authorization, ALLOW access to Google Fit and any other apps listed that you use.

Open the Wear OS app. Under the watch card ALLOW any permissions (text and call permissions). Tap Notifications below. Note the number of apps with notifications off under Change watch notifications. One or two would be normal. if it's a lot then investigate.

Check if you receive any notifications on the watch and report your findings.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Cfjean06

Post by Cfjean06 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23 pm

GM Sabertooth,

Wear OS Version on my watch is: 2.25.0.254020683.

The watch shows it's connected to the phone via bluetooth and the phone shows it's connected via bluetooth to the watch in the Wear OS app and the Mobvoi app on my phone.

Also had Wear OS and Mobvoi apps cleared of data. All are showing only the watch I have now.

Made sure both apps were connected to all other apps and settings were made.

As of right now, no notifications. Will watch for a few hours today and report back.

Thanks again Sabertooth!

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Greetings Cfjean06!

I know I'm a pain in the butt but I'm looking for the Bluetooth HARDWARE connection information. I understand that you see the connection in the Mobvoi and Wear OS apps and it would make sense they will show properly in the hardware section then but please confirm directly as follows:

On your watch, open the settings/connectivity/bluetooth. Is your phone listed and shown as connected?
On your phone, open the settings/connected devices/bluetooth. Is the Ticwatch E 786P listed?
Cfjean06 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23 pm
Wear OS Version on my watch is: 2.25.0.254020683.
I show this as the Home app version number and I have v2.7 of Wear OS by Google. Please double check.
I'm not seeing any out of date versions including the home app version provided so I don't expect this one to be a problem but we need to check to be sure.

The phone setup seems good and the permissions should be correctly set on the phone now so we will next look at the watch setup. I'll wait for your reply before I set that up for you.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Cfjean06

Post by Cfjean06 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:05 pm

No problem at all..I'm all about getting as specific as needed so we can figure this out!

On my watch's bluetooth section, it shows it's connected to my phone listing the phone model.

On the Wear OS App on my phone, it's odd: In the past it would say exactly what Ticwatch E it was connected to..in my case it would say Ticwatch E R51Q. Now, it only says TICwatch E.

Still no notifications. But I have noticed that the calling function was restored so when my phone rings, it rings and I can pick up via the watch and talk and hang up. So I'm assuming for whatever reason it's connected.

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:01 am

Greetings Cfjean!

The Samsung S8+ has an aggressive battery optimization that can sometimes interfere with the notifications. Before we look at the few remaining items on the watch let's take a look at the battery optimization feature of your phone to make sure it's not squelching the communications. Not owning that phone, these instructions may not be accurate. Go in to settings/apps, tap the three dots on the upper right and tap special access then optimize battery usage. Tap on the drop down menu saying "apps not optimized" and switch to "all apps." Locate the Mobvoi and Wear OS apps and turn OFF the battery optimization if it's on.

Moving to the watch, there are only a few possibilities. swipe down from the top to open the quick menu. The only thing that should be active here is the speaker icon. The Do Not Disturb (-) icon, the airplane mode airplane icon and the battery saver battery icon should all be OFF. Tap the gear on top to open settings and tap on apps and notifications. Notification previews should be set to Normal. Under app permissions/system apps, Ticwatch should have location ON. In Settings/Connectivity, Airplane mode should be OFF and Location from phone and watch should be ON. In Settings/Personalization/Accounts should have the same account as used on your phone.

That covers all the settings. If you're still not getting any notifications and everything is correct I'll escalate your issue for review by an engineer in case I missed something.

As a final act, you can factory reset the watch from settings/system/disconnect and reset. Since we did recover some function resetting the phone side,it's worth considering a watch side reset as well.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Cfjean06

Post by Cfjean06 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 am

Good Morning Sabertooth,

I will say before you sent this post, I noticed I received ONE notification from LinkedIn earlier today. Just before I logged in and read your last reply, I noticed a notification from Instagram came through.

I went into special access regarding battery optimization. The Wear OS app was turned off, the Mobvoi app was turned on...I turned it off.

Everything else you mentioned was already in place.

I will see how this works first before and possibly factory reset the watch although I've done it so many times already. I think after then we can consider elevating it.

Crossing my fingers this will work.

Thanks again Sabertooth! Will touch base with you in 24hrs!

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Greetings Cfjean!

I'm glad to hear that some notifications have appeared. We've pretty thoroughly checked the setup AND everything seems like it was setup pretty well and working okay so I can't figure what else might be the problem.
Cfjean06 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 am
I will see how this works first before and possibly factory reset the watch although I've done it so many times already. I think after then we can consider elevating it.
I completely understand. However, this time we did find some issues resolved when we reset the phone side so it may be that the reset on BOTH sides will clean things up. It's not exactly the same as your earlier resets since the phone side has been completely adjusted. Still, it is a long shot and so left till we've exhausted other possibilities.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator.