Made my Ticwatch smoother than ever disabling TicSystem via ADB

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
scetu
Cash on hand: Locked

Made my Ticwatch smoother than ever disabling TicSystem via ADB

Post by scetu » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 am

Hi,

I have my E2 watches for few days now, and I could not notice system lags, even for few seconds! Also loading of apps, was horrible. And system response was just WOOOOOOOOF, I wanted to throw them away few times...
So I started searching and I found this post on Reddit

Since I do not mind to use Google Fit as default fitness app, and I am willing to download some app from G Play which will continuously read my hearth rate, then I decided to follow this guide.

What I personally disabled:
TicWatch Companion
TicSystem
TicHealth
TicExcersise
Mobvoi Privacy
Mobvoi Account

All credits go to u/dany_ev3 from Reddit, since I am just posting his post from Reddit here, to help more users.

Watches are now smoother than ever!

I hope this guide will help you :)

I'M NOT AN EXPERT, I DON'T KNOW IF DOING THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR WATCH IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS STOPS OTA UPDATES FROM COMING TO THE WATCH, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING OR ANYONE, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOU, YOUR WATCH, PEOPLE AROUND YOU, DINOSAURS AND TALKING COWS THAT MAY BE EATING GRASS NEAR YOU.

ORIGINAL POST:

"So, I don't know if I'm the only one that had this problem, but my Ticwatch Pro was laggy as hell, barely usable, it frustrated me so much i stopped using it even while wearing it constantly. I had disabled every mobvoi app on my smartwatch and that improved battery life dramatically (Mobvoi account, Mobvoi privacy, TicExercise, TicHealth and so on) the only app i couldn't disable was TicSystem, I could only force stop it, and I had noticed that after stopping it my watch was smoother that it had ever been, but sadly it started again after a couple of minutes and the watch started lagging again, this may as well be caused by the TicSystem looking for all the apps i had disabled using all the cpu, but i couldn't give up the battery life I got disabling them, so I sat down and tried to find a solution.

And I did! I found a way to disable TicSystem via adb, and now my Ticwatch Pro runs perfectly smooth, this probably works on all ticwatch models but I haven't tried, and it's also extemely easy.

Before the tutorial I'll give you a disclaimer, I'M NOT AN EXPERT, I DON'T KNOW IF DOING THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR WATCH IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS STOPS OTA UPDATES FROM COMING TO THE WATCH, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING OR ANYONE, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOU, YOUR WATCH, PEOPLE AROUND YOU, DINOSAURS AND TALKING COWS THAT MAY BE EATING GRASS NEAR YOU.

All jokes aside, I'm pretty sure it's fine, it probably will only improve your watch performance dramatically, but if something does happen to somebody, I don't want people blaming me, only do this if you know what you are doing.

So let's start, you'll need a computer, obviously, and your charging cable, you can also use adb over wifi if you are feeling extra fancy and don't want cables lying around, but I haven't tried that.

Go into your watch's settings, system, informations, and touch build number a bunch of times until it says you have become a developer.

Go back in your settings, developer options, and enable ADB debugging. (also enable wifi debug if you are doing this via wifi, but if you are doing it via wifi you probably know what you are doing so i'll just explain cable stuff from now on)

Plug your watch in your pc and allow debugging from that device (a popup will appear on the watch)

Install ADB on your pc if you haven't already, I won't tell you how to, it's full of guides out there, use google or your browser of choice.

Open your command line (cmd) and check if your watch is connected with adb devices
, if your watch shows up, congrats! you are basically done! Run adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.mobvoi.wear.system.aw and TicSystem will get disabled, you are now done!

If your watch doesn't show up in adb, google something like "adb device not showing up" and you'll find like a million tutorials.

If you ever want to enable TicSystem back, go in your settings, apps, app details, system apps (at the bottom), TicSystem, and tap "enable", wasn't so difficult, was it?

If someone else tries this, let me know your results! Very curious to know other people's opinions. Have fun, and be kind to eachother!

Edit: a user tried this and made me notice that his default ticwatch watchfaces disappeared, I think this only happens if you disable the "watchface" system app, if you want to keep them don't disable it, but keep in mind that if you disable the other ticwatch apps the steps counter inside the default watches will stop working because it's linked to ticwatch fitness apps, but google fit will still count your steps so it's just the default watchfaces that won't count steps.

Edit2: It's been over a day and the watch feels great, many people in all 3 subs (r/ticwatch, r/ticwatchofficial and r/wearos) gave feedback and said it helped a lot their watches too, i also tried on my father's ticwatch pro and i haven't noticed major problems, for now only the one described in the edit above, and a user made me notice that the ticwatch charging ui disappeared (doesn't bother me, didn't find it useful anyway) but if you want to replace it another user suggested "wear charging widget" on the playstore, he also said it works much better than the default one so there's that, I'll try to keep updating the post and answer everybody on all 3 subs, I'm extremely happy to see all those people enjoy their watches more and more thanks to me, you are all amazing!"

no avatar
Opschor

Re: Made my Ticwatch smoother than ever disabling TicSystem via ADB

Post by Opschor » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 am

What is you're experience after 10 day's? Still the same about you're watch. I have a pro version and before I do something i am courius about this.

no avatar
scetu

Post by scetu » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Opschor wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 am
What is you're experience after 10 day's? Still the same about you're watch. I have a pro version and before I do something i am courius about this.
They are just awesome. Google Fit works just great and I have 1,5 day battery life and I receive many notifications through the day so they wake up many times and baterry is still fine.

Response time of system is great! Every tap to screen is recognized and no lagging. I use Spotify as well and loading of this app is fast.

If you want to improve your watch, then go ahead, you are able to Enable all of disabled applications in settings, so you can experiment on what app is bad.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190803_212019_com.google.android.wearable.app.jpg
Screenshot_20190803_212019_com.google.android.wearable.app.jpg (136.16 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

no avatar
Torabi

Post by Torabi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 am

I can't believe the difference this made to my C2 !!! I disabled all Ticwatch app's and smoothness and response is much much better. I also installed Heart Trace 2 app for continuous heart rate monitoring and it uploads each capture to google fit instantly unlike Mobvoi app which does it in intervals and 2 or 3 times a day !! After 8 months with C2 I feel I have a new watch again !!!

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm

scetu wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 am
I'M NOT AN EXPERT, I DON'T KNOW IF DOING THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR WATCH IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS STOPS OTA UPDATES FROM COMING TO THE WATCH, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING OR ANYONE, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOU, YOUR WATCH, PEOPLE AROUND YOU, DINOSAURS AND TALKING COWS THAT MAY BE EATING GRASS NEAR YOU.
Greetings All!

Just to be clear, disabling these apps will not harm your watch in any way. You will simply lose access to the services they provide which if you don't need or use them is okay. The only concern might be, if at a future date, you report these features not working to customer support, we will more than likely ask you to do a factory reset straight away.

Edit: I will try to verify whether the OTA updates and updates of these apps may be affected.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
scetu

Post by scetu » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Sabertooth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm
scetu wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 am
Greetings All!

Just to be clear, disabling these apps will not harm your watch in any way. You will simply lose access to the services they provide which if you don't need or use them is okay. The only concern might be, if at a future date, you report these features not working to customer support, we will more than likely ask you to do a factory reset straight away.

Edit: I will try to verify whether the OTA updates and updates of these apps may be affected.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator
Hello all,

yes, it won't harm watches in any way, but it is better to post disclaimer - just in case. All apps will be enabled by default after performing Factory reset.
Thanks for checking OTA updates.

I hope you will fix issues with these apps, because if somebody buys a new watch, they are full of happiness and then they will find out that new watch are barely usable - it is just disappointing.

Experience after 1 month:
Battery is about 1,5 days, I am receiving many notifications, and calls.
I have disabled "Tilt to wake screen" this drained my battery, I am using only Always-on screen
  • Tilt to wake is a little bit unnecessary function by default, because between tilt of your wrist and awakening of watches, there is delay in 2-3 seconds. So many people will tap to the screen to speed it up - for which you need only "Always-on screen"
  • Watches are woken up on your wrist without intention many times per day
  • Continuous monitoring of "Tilt to wake screen" is draining battery.
  • "Always-on screen" is not draining battery as "Tilt to wake screen"
  • If "Tilt to wake screen" is disabled - it still works with notifications, so if your watches will receive new notifications, and you want to see them, screen will brighten up after tilt your wrist
  • "Always-on screen" is readable in direct sunlight
Overall - watches are smooth, only concern is with loading caller ID, in notifications it takes up to 5-10 second during which watches are ringing, but you do not know who is calling.

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm

scetu wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Hello all,

yes, it won't harm watches in any way, but it is better to post disclaimer - just in case. All apps will be enabled by default after performing Factory reset.

I hope you will fix issues with these apps, because if somebody buys a new watch, they are full of happiness and then they will find out that new watch are barely usable - it is just disappointing.

I have disabled "Tilt to wake screen" this drained my battery, I am using only Always-on screen
  • Tilt to wake is a little bit unnecessary function by default, because between tilt of your wrist and awakening of watches, there is delay in 2-3 seconds. So many people will tap to the screen to speed it up - for which you need only "Always-on screen"
  • If "Tilt to wake screen" is disabled - it still works with notifications, so if your watches will receive new notifications, and you want to see them, screen will brighten up after tilt your wrist
Overall - watches are smooth, only concern is with loading caller ID, in notifications it takes up to 5-10 second during which watches are ringing, but you do not know who is calling.
Greetings scetu!

Thanks for the great tips! The latest OTA Update did update battery optimization and some have reported improved battery run time because of that. Of course, your mileage may vary due to your individual usage scenario. Some are also reporting improved battery run time after a recent Wear OS update. We are always looking for ways to improve battery life.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
scetu

Post by scetu » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Sabertooth wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm
scetu wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Hello all,

Greetings scetu!

Thanks for the great tips! The latest OTA Update did update battery optimization and some have reported improved battery run time because of that. Of course, your mileage may vary due to your individual usage scenario. Some are also reporting improved battery run time after a recent Wear OS update. We are always looking for ways to improve battery life.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator
Hello Sabertooth,

What is latest OTA update?
When I purchased my E2 I've got all updates and since then, nothing. I am running on Wear OS 2.8H (Security Patch: June 1 2019), Play Services 18.7.19.

I performed all above mentioned things on this version, so if there is newer, please let me know and I'll give it a try :-)

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm

scetu wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 pm
Hello Sabertooth,

What is latest OTA update?
When I purchased my E2 I've got all updates and since then, nothing. I am running on Wear OS 2.8H (Security Patch: June 1 2019), Play Services 18.7.19.

I performed all above mentioned things on this version, so if there is newer, please let me know and I'll give it a try :-)
Greetings scetu!

The OTA Updates can be installed while the watch is charging so you probably have the latest version. I believe it's the same as my C2 which is PWDS.190618.001.A1 (the PWDS bit may be different for you). You can check your current version by opening settings and go to System/About /Build number. If you aren't up to date you can tap the System updates option to check for an available update. Wear OS is part of Google so it's in the Play Store. Open the Play Store app on your watch and swipe down from the top to open the Quick menu and tap the My Apps (overlapping boxes) on the left. If updates are available tap Update all to install them.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator