Texting away from phone?

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
noahtonk
Cash on hand: Locked

Texting away from phone?

Post by noahtonk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm

I have my watch connected as a NumberShare through Verizon. Everything is working great except that when I am away from my phone AND connected to Verizon, the Messages app won't send messages because it insists that I am offline. This behavior also occurs when I use Verizon Message+. Is there a setting I need to ensure is properly configured? Again, I am referring to texting with an LTE-only connection with no phone in Bluetooth range.

no avatar
tomunoz

Re: Texting away from phone?

Post by tomunoz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:53 am

Following as I'm experiencing the same issue.

no avatar
tomunoz

Post by tomunoz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:06 pm

FYI - I think I figured out the "unable to text from watch while away from phone and connected to Verizon" conundrum.

Solution:
I installed/enabled Verizon Message+ on my phone. It asked to be the default SMS app on my phone and I said 'yes'. I gave it a few minutes and saw that my texts history from Google Messages appeared in the Verizon Message+ app. I then went to Google Messages on my phone and made it the default SMS/text app on my phone. On my watch, I opened the messages app and made sure that the icon at top had "phone" selected and I was able to send/receive text messages on my watch while away from my phone or when my phone was turned off. Problem solved.

Some notes:
1]The Verizon Message+ app looks like has to be up and running on your phone and afterwards, set whatever is your preferred text/sms app as your default. I guess the Verizon Message+ apps is a go between and does the cloud sync so you can send/receive texts while disconnected from phone. It syncs with your default sms/text app on your phone.
2]I had to select 'yes' to install/enable the Verizon Message+ app as default on my phone the very first time. If I selected 'No', it would not start the Verizon Message+ app. After Verizon Message+ was installed/enabled and was the default app, I just went to Google Messages and made Google Messages my default and all's well.
3]On my watch, the icon at the top of the Messages app you can choose between phone and watch. If you select watch, it uses the phone number associated with your watch and if you send texts this way, people may not recognize it as from you since it's a different phone number than the one on your phone. So therefore, make sure the icon is set to 'phone' to use your phone's number. Either way, it's good to know there is a "secret" phone number you can use to send text messages.

Hope this helps.

Tom

no avatar
Nightdiff

Post by Nightdiff » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 am

When I text from the watch it comes up as a different number from the phone even though I have number share????

no avatar
tomunoz

Post by tomunoz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:26 am

Right, on my watch messages app, when I start it, there is icon at the very top looks like a cell phone and a watch with double arrow between them. Tap on that icon and you see 2 options...phone and watch. Press on the phone icon to use the number from the phone. If you select the watch icon, it uses the number assigned to the watch. I believe the watch needs its own number as a separate device while number sharing allows you to use the number from the phone.

no avatar
Nightdiff

Post by Nightdiff » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 pm

That worked thank you

no avatar
jhuster

Post by jhuster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:49 pm

I followed these directions and it still did not work for me. The watch says "You are offline" even when connected to LTE when attempting to message anyone. The phone portion works just fine. Messages+ is a terrible app from Verizon. They removed the WearOS component back when the LG Watch Sport was a thing that was supposed to run on their network.

I don't know if the issue here is with Verizon or Mobvoi, but it needs to be fixed.

no avatar
jhuster

Post by jhuster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:36 pm

This did not work for me. I followed all the steps but I still can't text when my phone is off/airplane mode. I can call from the watch, no problem, but texts are a no-go with the Messages app even saying "You Are Offline" with a toast message when I try.

For what it's worth, Verizon used to have a Wear OS version of Messages+ but killed it during the debacle that was the LG Watch Sport.

no avatar
arwicfire

Post by arwicfire » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:03 pm

I am having the same issue, and i have tried making three different messaging apps default, including the red message+ and they all still do the same thing.

no avatar
kceb83

Post by kceb83 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:15 pm

*deleted
Last edited by kceb83 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.