Texting away from phone?

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Nando
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Texting away from phone?

Post by Nando » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:17 pm

I have been having a nightmare of a time with my watch. It will only work on Cellular if Bluetooth is off. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Verizon, emailed Mobvoi support and posted on here as well to no avail yet.

no avatar
Nightdiff

Post by Nightdiff » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I agree 100%

no avatar
Nightdiff

Post by Nightdiff » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 pm

tomunoz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:26 am
Right, on my watch messages app, when I start it, there is icon at the very top looks like a cell phone and a watch with double arrow between them. Tap on that icon and you see 2 options...phone and watch. Press on the phone icon to use the number from the phone. If you select the watch icon, it uses the number assigned to the watch. I believe the watch needs its own number as a separate device while number sharing allows you to use the number from the phone.
I did this and worked but it seems like it doesn't stay on? The next time I texted it went back to the watch number?

no avatar
brkyhoward80

Post by brkyhoward80 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Has anyone found another fish to this aside from Message+ fix? That one isn't working for me. Just to recap the issue, I can call when not connected to my phone, but cannot send or receive text. I am using a Pixel 3. Thanks.

no avatar
noahtonk

Post by noahtonk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:00 pm

I do wish Mobvoi would respond. :x

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 pm

noahtonk wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:00 pm
I do wish Mobvoi would respond. :x
Greetings noahtonk!

Please understand that this is a fully moderated forum so every message is read and acknowledged by a moderator by virtue of being released to the forum. Of course, an issue with numerous replies we are aware of and reporting to the support channel. However, it can have a negative impact on your topic if we reply and don't actually have anything to add to the conversation. Once a moderator replies it can literally suck the oxygen from your topic and, others like yourself, that found a solution may not present it.

There are three conditions for the texting to work via LTE/cellular. First, it's only possible right now on an android phone. Second, you need to use the Google messaging app on the phone. And, third, the phone still needs to be on and have a cellular connection as well.

If you meet all these conditions but it's still not working. First, check that you have the latest software installed on the watch AND phone (i.e., different Wear OS versions can cause issues especially). Open the Play Store on the watch and swipe down from the top, tap the My Apps (overlapping boxes) on the left then tap Update all if there are updates available. On the phone, open the Play Store and tap the menu bars in the upper left then tap My apps and games. tap Update all if there are updates available. If that didn't do it, report your phone make and model and confirm you meet the above conditions and followed the steps and we'll try to figure out where it's going wrong. If you enabled Developer options and made any changes, you should factory reset prior to following these steps.

Edit: I also suggest to restart both the phone and the watch prior to troubleshooting as a general rule.
Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
jhuster

Post by jhuster » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Sabertooth wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 pm
There are three conditions for the texting to work via LTE/cellular. First, it's only possible right now on an android phone. Second, you need to use the Google messaging app on the phone. And, third, the phone still needs to be on and have a cellular connection as well.
All fine and good... but then they really shouldn't advertise the watch as having "Standalone" texting capabilities. This image is still up on the page advertising the watch on Mobvoi's website:

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 pm

jhuster wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 pm
All fine and good... but then they really shouldn't advertise the watch as having "Standalone" texting capabilities. This image is still up on the page advertising the watch on Mobvoi's website:
Greetings jhuster!

I won't even try to explain marketing overstatements. I'm sure they just mean that you can leave the phone at home on the charger when you go out for a run but I can see your point too.

Edit: even though your picture didn't come through I do know exactly the spot you're referring too.
Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
jhuster

Post by jhuster » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Sabertooth wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 pm
I won't even try to explain marketing overstatements. I'm sure they just mean that you can leave the phone at home on the charger when you go out for a run but I can see your point too.

Edit: even though your picture didn't come through I do know exactly the spot you're referring too.
LOL glad I'm not crazy - I can see your point too... but yeah, it's confusing wording for sure.

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Sabertooth, that info confuses me a bit. If you have to meet those 3 conditions you cited, why would the watch even need LTe? I could text from my old Sony smartwatch with my phone on and by my side. Thanks.