Texting using Google Assistant

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
edwardsjh
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Texting using Google Assistant

Post by edwardsjh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm

Solomon 66, thanks for the note but I don't really want to take that drastic action at this point. I think Mobvoi should come up with a software solution and send out an update. It shouldn't be that difficult to provide a selection to choose "send via phone" in addition to "send via watch", or send via a phone number a user could enter in a setting.
So at this point, I'll wait for a proper fix....tic, tic, tic....

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:25 pm

edwardsjh wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm
Solomon 66, thanks for the note but I don't really want to take that drastic action at this point. I think Mobvoi should come up with a software solution and send out an update. It shouldn't be that difficult to provide a selection to choose "send via phone" in addition to "send via watch", or send via a phone number a user could enter in a setting.
So at this point, I'll wait for a proper fix....tic, tic, tic....
Greetings edwardsjh!

To be clear about how it works, Mobvoi provides the hardware and drivers to access the hardware through Wear OS. Wear OS is in complete control of how that access occurs and Google Assistant is responsible for how it requests that access from Wear OS. Now if you do a search, I found that this also occurs when the Wi-Fi is turned off on a standard non-4G smartwatch, it won't go through the Bluetooth connection. My thinking is that maybe Google Assistant asks for the first connection instead of the first 'available' connection. I'm no expert so don't take my word for it. That said, your first best option for a fix is to open up your Wear OS app and tap the three dots then help & feedback followed by Send feedback and describe the problem there. It's a Google app accessing the Google OS so they need to fix it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to your problem and suggested that maybe there could be a Standard Smartwatch mode that makes the 4G radio invisible to Wear OS. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any traction on that idea (they're rightly pointing at Google). If you like an idea like that then the same goes for the Feedback option in the Mobvoi app.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:25 pm

Sabertooth, thank you for the latest reply. As you said, the relationship of hardware/drivers and OS and apps can get quite involved. I'll look into it a bit more and provide feedback to Google as you suggested.
I am also no expert in this area, just a longtime user. still am not sure it may not be a Mobvoi issue. For example, what prevents the cause of the issue being "incorrect" programming in the driver's for the hardware in the watch preventing the Google/messaging app from being successful? After all, the same combination of Assistant, Messaging (onboard wifi, Bluetooth, etc hardware being present) works on practically all other watches. If it was an Assistant/Message issue, it would be much more widespread and not simply associated with the Pro watches. In my thinking, that would indicate it's a device issue. But as I said, I'm not an expert.
Anyway, I hope with all of us users having this issue that it gets resolved quickly. Thanks again!

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 pm

Sabertooth, along with my most recent reply, I just confirmed that Assistant/Message works fine on my spouse's 2 month old Ticwatch E (albeit a bit slow in responding from screen to screen). I did provide feedback to both Mobvoi and Google as you suggested. Cheers.

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm

edwardsjh wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 pm
Sabertooth, along with my most recent reply, I just confirmed that Assistant/Message works fine on my spouse's 2 month old Ticwatch E (albeit a bit slow in responding from screen to screen). I did provide feedback to both Mobvoi and Google as you suggested. Cheers.
edwardsjh wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:25 pm
Sabertooth, thank you for the latest reply. As you said, the relationship of hardware/drivers and OS and apps can get quite involved. I'll look into it a bit more and provide feedback to Google as you suggested.
I am also no expert in this area, just a longtime user. still am not sure it may not be a Mobvoi issue. For example, what prevents the cause of the issue being "incorrect" programming in the driver's for the hardware in the watch preventing the Google/messaging app from being successful? After all, the same combination of Assistant, Messaging (onboard wifi, Bluetooth, etc hardware being present) works on practically all other watches. If it was an Assistant/Message issue, it would be much more widespread and not simply associated with the Pro watches. In my thinking, that would indicate it's a device issue. But as I said, I'm not an expert.
Anyway, I hope with all of us users having this issue that it gets resolved quickly. Thanks again!
Greetings edwardsjh!

Just being sure that all the bases are covered. I continue to press the case with Mobvoi. I personally feel that the majority of Ticwatch Pro 4G users will be non-4G customers so it's in the best interest if Mobvoi can do something. Sometimes it just takes enough people expressing the same idea through the various channels for it to take hold. Who knows, Google might do something also.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Just a short update: In response to my inquiry about this to Mobvoi support, they have quickly gotten back to me with a "reference number" and questions regarding watch and phone model and versions, etc. The also asked if I could test for the issue using WiFi rather than Bluetooth. I sent them the requested info and noted that I had the exact same result using WiFi. I'll post any new info, and others please do the same.

no avatar
joffreykhan

Post by joffreykhan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm

It's true! Intentionally locking your sim card works to remedy the issue, less you still have to tap 'send from phone.' Still, a huge improvement over having to open the messanger app. It also improved making pone calls via voice assistant. As a t-mobile customer, the sim was useless, anyway.

Mobvoi: IT WOULD STILL BE NICE TO HAVE NORMAL VOICE ASSISTANT FUNCTION FOR MESSAGING. It was a better experience on your older devices. Please create a sim bypass for the MANY of us that have the Pro/LTE but don't have Verizon.

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 pm

joffreykhan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm
It's true! Intentionally locking your sim card works to remedy the issue, less you still have to tap 'send from phone.'
@joffreykahn,
Can you provide more information on how you "locked" your SIM card? Is this something you performed on the watch itself?

Thanks!

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
joffreykhan

Post by joffreykhan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm

"............@joffreykahn,
Can you provide more information on how you "locked" your SIM card? Is this something you performed on the watch itself? "

To lock your sim card:
Settings>Connectivity>Sim Lock(toggle 'switch')>'Enter random numbers and it will count down the number of 'attempts' you have before it locks. Mine locked after 3 attempts, I think. It then tells you that you will have to enter your Verizon PUK code to unlock. Obviously, if you don't have Verizon, it's irrelevant.

Using voice assistant to send texts and phone calls was immediately improved, without restarting.

Cheers!

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Hypothetically: Say you lock the SIM. Later, you decide to switch service to Verizon and want to add the watch. Can the SIM be activated at that point (ie Verizon will be able to look up the PUK even though the device was never activated on their system)?