Navigate Without Phone?

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
edwardsjh
Cash on hand: Locked

Navigate Without Phone?

Post by edwardsjh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm

When I was experimenting a bit with my Pro 4G (no mobile service from V), I tried via WiFi (no phone) to have the watch navigate me to the local post office via "ok Google"/Assistant without my phone. Assistant would find the post office but then it would almost immediately replace the message/route and say " connect to phone and try again". Why would this watch (with gps and location "on" need the phone to navigate to a particular destination? (Again, using WiFi at the time I made the inquiry of Assistant) Shouldn't the watch be able to do this independent of having a phone/ mobile connection to work with? Even if you move out of range of the WiFi once Navigation is started, shouldn't the watch itself be able to continue to Navigate you via its own gps? Thanks in advance.

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Re: Navigate Without Phone?

Post by garrywadams » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:06 pm

edwardsjh,
I have tried testing the scenario you outlined below, but my TWP 4G seems to have trouble finding a GPS signal when connected to my home WiFi. Can you confirm a couple of things?
1. Was Google Maps showing your location correctly when attempting the navigation? (mine waits to acquire GPS before it will even attempt to start navigation).
2. Do you have issues acquiring GPS location when NOT tethered to your phone?

I'm thinking that my watch is still trying to use my phone's location because when connected to WiFi it can communicate with the phone. Location settings on the watch specifically says "from phone and watch" as the subtext. The watch will prefer the phone's location if available, and fall back to built-in GPS when phone GPS is unavailable.

I will try acquiring GPS location while connected to WiFi with the phone OFF to ensure that it isn't trying to pull location data from there.

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Ok, so with my phone completely offline the watch did acquire its own GPS signal and it was showing both in TicExercise and in Google Maps.

Once it was showing location I tried navigating to someplace close by. As soon as the navigation started, I got the message you mentioned above to "connect to phone and try again." It does not appear that Google Maps is designed to work standalone. It may require a tethered connection to your phone. I'll check with the product team and see if they have any feedback on this issue.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Gary, Thanks for bumping this up the line.

My watch also had a bit of an effort trying to pick up GPS position. It sure seems that it would be a quick and basic feature for a watch built for "stand-alone" use (exercise, biking, etc). I did get it to finally find GPS (I tried to isolate it from the phone, turned GPS off and back on on the watch, etc; I'm not sure which thing I did that caused it to find me or if it just eventually did it on its own). It did show my correct location then without the phone.

As the saying goes, misery loves company. At least I'm not alone with this issue! I only tried using maps. Did you have the same issue with the Fitness app? I'll test another app like you did; perhaps I'll download another gps-dependent app to test.

That said, Google Maps is by far the most used mapping app so it really ought to work independently as has been "advertised."

I'll post any new results here. Thanks!

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:27 am

I have sent a bug report of this issue to the software development team at Mobvoi. This is a Google issue, not a Mobvoi issue, but they are in contact with Google and will provide an update once they have had a chance to look into the issue.

If you can take a bug report from your watch and send it, I will include it with the one I have sent.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Garry, How do I"take a bug report" from my watch? If I knew how, I would provide it to you. Thanks, and let me know!

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:54 am

edwardsjh wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:01 pm
Garry, How do I"take a bug report" from my watch? If I knew how, I would provide it to you. Thanks, and let me know!
Google has posted instructions here:
https://support.google.com/wearos/thread/24110?hl=en

Once the bug report is captured, you can either attach it to an email to send it, or upload it to Google drive and share a link to it from there.

I have replicated the issue in my TWP 4G and sent my own bug report to the development team, but the more data they have, the better. They did say that this is a Google issue, and not something that will likely be fixed on the Mobvoi side, but they are in contact with Google on the issue to assist in finding a resolution.

Thanks for your input and I hope we are able to come to a workable solution.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Nightdiff

Post by Nightdiff » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:56 pm

The watch does navigate alone with the 4G service correct?

no avatar
bryon

Post by bryon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:57 am

I tried this a couple of months ago while my phone was getting repaired. It did not work. If I recall, I received an error message similar to the one listed in the above thread.

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Nightdiff wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:56 pm
The watch does navigate alone with the 4G service correct?
Nightdiff,
Google maps is designed to be used with a paired phone only. I don't believe connectivity method matters here (WiFi vs 4G). It is a limitation of the app from Google. It was not designed for standalone use.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator