Your Voice Matters - Participate and get 30% off!

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Weerapat
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Your Voice Matters - Participate and get 30% off!

Post by Weerapat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:37 am

I recently purchased a pair of Ticpods Free. My experience so far is decent. However, compare with other true wireless earphones in the same price range that I have owned, the Ticpods Free is falling behind in many areas (e.g. Bluetooth 5.0, AptX, AAC). And Mobvoi app's feature is still sub-par and its interface is not intuitive. I really wish to see improvements on both hardware and software in your next true wireless earphones.

no avatar
0chtopu5

Post by 0chtopu5 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 am

Many watches have rotating crowns or bezels to navigate the UI. This is a feature that would be nice to have

no avatar
dembonez

Post by dembonez » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm a big fan of your products. I backed the Ticwatch S on Kickstarter a few years back, and now I'm a happy owner the S2, and of a TicHome mini. My fellow Canadians are jealous of this one; it's a shame it's not for sale here.

My Ticwatch S2 is my daily driver, and I love it more and more with every update. Reminders to get off my butt and walk around keep me moving, and with apps like Facer, it's easy to share my love of this, that or the other (my improv troupe's logo adorns it when I perform). It's stylish, tough as nails, and I dig how light it is, compared to its bulk. I can't say I miss the speaker my S had; good move taking it out.

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:38 pm

We bought a To watch e for my wife because the screen on her 3 year old Asus watch was acting up. We looked at a lot of different potential replacements, including Fitbit and Samsung. The Fitbit just didn't seem very good at notifications and those non-fitness applications. I did not like the Samsung Tizen is; I prefer the base Wear OS. The To watch e had all the features she was looking for, except for style as it is a little on the bulky side. So far, so good although I admit she is a light user.

I just recently replaced my nearly 5 year old Sony with the new To watch Pro 4g/lte. I don't plan to use the LTe mobile feature at this time, but I did like that it had more memory than the regular Pro and worked smoother as a result. So far, so good... still getting used to the changes. The only issue I have had, as have others, is that you can't send a text using Assistant; you can get to the final point to touch send, but it just spins around and doesn't go. The small print on that screen says "send via watch" , and there is apparently no way currently to tell it to send from phone (LTe not activated). Texts can be sent using the Message app directly (not using Assistant). This is a "must fix" issue for To watch, in my opinion. The faces are easy to read; it would be nice to lengthen the time the main screen stays on by a few seconds ( I understand there is a third party app that lets you do that, but I have not tried it). Otherwise, we are pretty satisfied so far. I would certainly recommend taking a look at the Ticwatch line if you are in the market for a new smart watch.

no avatar
tanmayrc

Post by tanmayrc » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:25 am

Excellent watch

no avatar
saggitas

Post by saggitas » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 am

Owner of the Kickstarter Ticwatch E & S that came with a free charging cable and TicPods. The S had to be RMA-ed twice due to screen issues, but my brother is still using it and quite happy that it lasted this long. The TicPods are bass-heavy, which is good for an EDM person like me.

My Ticwatch E's battery is starting to show it's age as it now lasts about 10 hours instead of the usual 16 to 18 hours. I would happily get the Ticwatch S2 or the Pro, if only they had wireless charging, not Pogo pins.

no avatar
ryjoba

Post by ryjoba » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Most of the reviews (video or text) of the watch, including Mobvoi's marketing are not use case focused enough. The common themes I see from the reviews and my personal use of the watch are:

*hardware is very good and a reasonable price
*increase in ram is much better for smoother operation
*wearos is the worst part and wondering what Google is going to do with this
*need some separate apps to tweak the watch better (keep screen on longer)
*even wearos apps aren't well designed to support the stand-alone features (un-tethered mode)

Buying this is a bit of a gamble for me as I'm thinking that Garmin will continue to expand it's offerings and surely Google will do a pixel watch that will get a lot more support. How will the ticwatch standout from these? Is this software upgradable if Google updates or changes their wearos substantially?

I think more focused use case approach/campaign would benefit Mobvoi. Having owned probably 5 Garmin watches, my use case is more geared toward running and other activities and wanting to pair music with that - all without needing the phone. Garmin is already doing this with their Vivoactive (even with Verizon), but functionality it is very limited. However, they are focused on satisfying that use case very well. It would probably work better for me, but I'm interested in some of the additional features that are possible with the Ticwatch. If you are going to drop $300 for these watches and probably up to $500 in some cases, then there should be a richer possibility of features.

Continuing with my running use case, the multi-purpose device calls upon multiple apps to run together to make it happen: GPS tracking (e.g., Strava, Runtastic, Tic Health, Google Fit) along with Music (Wearify, haven't tried others yet if un-tethered options are available), and with interruptions from text or phone. My initial observations is that working with multiple apps in the wearos environment isn't happening well. Thus, perhaps a focus should be designing multi-purpose apps that can handle these together. GPS + Music + Phone/Text. Maybe this is a limitation of wearos. Even linking GPS + Music would be an improvement (e.g, Tic Health plus a Tic Spotify app).

In terms of listening to music, Garmin music enabled watches allow for off-line Spotify and now off-line Amazon music. A multi-purpose device should be able to do this as well.

Now - once I'm out on my run, the display (secondary) becomes an issue as I can see very little. Can we improve that? Tic health seems to show some information more than the other apps (e.g., Strava) on this display, but we need some screen adjustments or customization options for that second screen. Garmin allows me to select what I want to view in terms of information (pace, heart rate, lap pace, lap distance, etc). One way to compensate as well is to have the activity app provide voice alerts and being able to customize them (e.g., alert me of distance, pace, heart rate, etc every 1/2 mile or mile).

The essential mode saves battery life is an untapped possibility if it can be customized and made more useful. It is hard to read, needs a light for night time, and needs at least a few more basic watch functions, such as stop watch, alarm, and timer. Even if such features on average meant the battery only lasts 7-10 days, this would make the watch immensely more useful.

To summarize - the watch is sold as a multi-purpose, LTE connected device that can be un-tethered and still useful. There are a lot of promises about it's possibility given the hardware capabilities. How does Ticwatch compensate for the wearos issues? I think it would see better if the top 3 use cases are explored in depth and the future apps released are focused on making those use cases work exceptionally well. Don't rely on Google or other app providers to do this! For me the top use case is: go for a run without my phone and listen to music and handle important interruptions if needed (phone or text). Given the amazing battery life potential with essential mode/second screen, it is paramount to make that second screen more customizable during activities and more useful when in essential mode by adding more basic watch functionality (stopwatch, alarm, timer, light). Music capability is limited in the wearos, especially for off-line playing.

I'm very hopeful that this device isn't obsolete within a year based on OS changes. The key is making this watch easier to use to support specific use cases that require more app integration.

no avatar
jimkestner@gmail.com

Post by jimkestner@gmail.com » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:58 pm

I own both a Ticwatch 2 and a Ticwatch e. I switch back and forth between the two. I like the old Ticwatch OS better than OSwear. The best feature of both watches is the display. The lack of waterproofing is the worst feature.

no avatar
qwerty908m4q

Post by qwerty908m4q » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:36 am

It would be great to have a watch like the c2 with the layered screen and 1gb ram.

no avatar
Sprogz

Post by Sprogz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Until it started to fall apart, I really liked my TicWatch S. Affordable. Ran the xDrip+ watchface to display my blood sugar leves; a game-changer for this keen, diabetic runner. Decent design. Supports Google WearOS rather than its own OS so plenty of apps to choose from for those people who like lots of apps.

1. Non-replaceable straps like on the old TicWatch S should never happen. My old TicWatch S (I have a refurb you sent to replace under warranty) failed, partly due to non-replaceable straps (there were other issues too) as did my old Garmin 220. I will never buy another smart watch with non-replaceable straps.

2. Battery life is so very important to me. I have a Coros Apex 46 sports watch. I wear it 24/7. It has altimeter, thermometer, HRM, Wifi, BT and (not a joke) lasts almost two weeks between charges! It is amazing. This includes GPS-tracking 3 or 4 runs a week. That's the sort of battery life I'd like to see in any new TicWatch watches! Trouble is, I cannot run the xDrip+ watchface on it which displays my blood sugar level (I am type one diabetic with Libre and MiaoMiao BT transmitter). If I could it would be the PERFECT watch. However, the TicWatch runs the xDrip+ watchface very well, it just has too short battery life to be PERFECT ;)

3. Wireless charging instead of pins which started to corrode on my TicWatch S so I had to "fiddle" with the cable sometimes to get a charging connection.

4. A far easier (or more obvious) way to disable facilities of the watch I am not using. I had to scroll through many items in the Apps & Notifications > App permissions to see which app was still triggering the HRM to flash green when I wasn't even wearing the watch and it was sat by my bed charging. Quite annoying! There should be a global; HRM on/off, GPS on/off, etc. so I can pare it down to the bare minimum in order to squeeze every last minute of life from the battery.