Ticwatch Pro 4G LTE - Stand alone cellular service

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
davidnpeggy
Cash on hand: Locked

Ticwatch Pro 4G LTE - Stand alone cellular service

Post by davidnpeggy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 pm

I am new to the forum and have not been able to find any discussions about using the Ticwatch 4G LTE watch without a companion share phone number smartphone.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the watch as a stand alone phone. The Mobvoi website says this is possible. I would like to confirm with actual users before buying.
Thank you, David

News Flash! I did buy the 4G LTE version and then spent an entire day setting up the watch to work as a standalone phone number. The first challenge to overcome is that you must have access to a Android Smartphone even though you don't want to use a smartphone later on. I borrowed my wife Galaxy Smartphone. Bluetooth must be enabled and devices paired.

Next you need to enable "Mobile" on the phone via "connectivity" in settings. Unfortunately there are no instructions or menu tree charts to guide finding this. You need to pull the watch face screen down to get to settings. Select the very top star wheel.

I recommend that you then go to a Verizon dealer to select the plan that you want and select a phone number or port one... I wanted text and talk only $15.00 per month. Online process forces you to buy the $80.00 plan. I selected a new number.
With all this done ... the phone could send and receive calls and text messages. I had to unpair the smartphone with the watch , and turn off bluetooth on the watch. You can use the wifi connectivity and the Google Play to download Wear OS apps directly to the phone.
Lots of trial an error. Verizon has no clue how to do any of this and Mobvoi support tries to tell you to contact Verizon. Catch 22.

Hope this helps others brave enough to try standalone 4G LTE watch phone service.
Last edited by davidnpeggy on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
rudi1

Re: Ticwatch Pro 4G LTE - Stand alone cellular service

Post by rudi1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:17 am

Hi David,

From the website:
Cellular connectivity: Currently only available in the US, UK, and Germany. Please check your region for carrier availability.

I can confirm it does NOT work in the Netherlands. :(

Regards, Rudi

no avatar
fhackney

Post by fhackney » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 am

I too have set up my Pro 4G LTE on Verizon as a stand alone device, but, I did it a little differently. I activated online and chose the single device plan for wearables ($15/$10 with autopay). This plan gets unlimited talk and text with 1GB of LTE data. I have two contact numbers coming to my watch. My phone is on T-Mobile and forwards calls to my watch when not accessible and I use Google Voice as my primary number. So, if you count the new number received at activation, I have 3 numbers coming to my watch. I rarely, if ever, carry my phone with me when I leave the house and haven't missed it.

I have to admit that initially I wasn't sure the above set up would work out but it has worked so well that I am now considering porting my T-Mobile number to my watch and saving the monthly cost of that line. I can support my watch over home wifi if needed so I 'm not sure I really need the T-Mo sim. Time will tell on this as there is a certain level of comfort associated with having a physical sim with one of my contact numbers.

no avatar
fhackney

Post by fhackney » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:06 am

I too have set up my Pro 4G LTE on Verizon as a stand alone device, but, I did it a little differently. I activated online and chose the single device plan for wearables ($15/$10 with autopay). This plan gets unlimited talk and text with 1GB of LTE data. I have two contact numbers coming to my watch. My phone is on T-Mobile and forwards calls to my watch when not accessible and I use Google Voice as my primary number. So, if you count the new number received at activation, I have 3 numbers coming to my watch. I rarely, if ever, carry my phone with me when I leave the house and haven't missed it.

I have to admit that initially I wasn't sure the above set up would work out but it has worked so well that I am now considering porting my T-Mobile number to my watch and saving the monthly cost of that line. I can support my watch over home wifi if needed so I 'm not sure I really need the T-Mo sim. Time will tell on this as there is a certain level of comfort associated with having a physical sim with one of my contact numbers.

no avatar
davidnpeggy

Post by davidnpeggy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for your summary. I have my wife's phone and Galaxy Active 2 watch set up the way you have described.

My watch does not get forwarded calls from my cell phone. I have actually disconnected cell service to the phone ($10/15 per month service). The watch will not allow you to manage everything from the watch without an android WIFI connected device running the Mobvoi app. I have to bluetooth connect the watch to either a tablet with no cellular service, or my deactivated cell phone to have more complete access to the watch. Ticpod - earpods are an example of not being able to manage everything.

The Ticpod's will not work with my Ticwatch Pro LTE without a cell phone tethered via bluetooth to the Ticpod's. The Cell Phone daisy chains the three devices. In other words ... there is no direct bluetooth connection for the watch to the Ticpod's without having a cell phone with either wifi connection, or cellular connection to answer incoming phone using the pods. Kind of defeats the purpose of leaving your phone at home. Hoping to find a bluetooth earpod that will connect to the watch directly.

no avatar
canzola47

Post by canzola47 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:06 pm

I setup E-SIM with Mobility Pass can be done in any country with a UK number, and should connect all Europe. My case did connect in France as order, not in Italy for two weeks doesn't connect to network.
Rates are reasonable prepay and data by use or pass by day.
My case is just occasionally bike ride.. text

Carlos

no avatar
canzola47

Post by canzola47 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 am

Service was lost cannot put the E-sim again from mobilitypass, Bought a new E-Sim for France worked 3 days and now doesn’t connect to Network anymore. Any ideas?