More charging issues?

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
linville79
Cash on hand: Locked

More charging issues?

Post by linville79 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 pm

I just received my TicWatch Pro 2020 today. Following directions, I plugged it in to charge before powering it on. However, like many others, I first used my Samsung wall box which is adaptive quick charging.

The watch screen started off as a lightning bolt and after a few minutes it displayed the ticwatch logo and then an animated battery icon which began filling up. This fill up animation ran twice and then the screen went black.

After a Google search, I found the many instances of people trying a qyick charge box and having to then replace their charger dock. I decided to try charging with an Apple wall box that is not adaptive quick charging. This time, the battery animation ran three times but then, again, the screen went black.

Firstly, can someone tell me what the expected correct behavior is, please?

Secondly, should I now expect to need a replacement charging dock?

Thanks!
- Kris

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Re: More charging issues?

Post by garrywadams » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Kris,
Please try connecting your charger to the USB port on your computer and see if it will charge your watch.

The new charger docks have been updated on the 2020 model and should not burn out the way some of them did on the original TWP. Where did you purchase the watch from? (Amazon, or the Mobvoi website?)

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
dezeure

Re: More charging issues?

Post by dezeure » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:15 am

Yes, I have a very similar problem and Mobvoi is refusing the fix the watch in warranty (less than 2 years old) because it was a birthday gift and don't have any proof of purchase. Most organised companies can see on the serial number how old the watch is, and when it was shipped to a certain store. They had just arrived in that store when I bought it, (in Finland everything new comes quite a bit later than it was originally made) And to make matters worse, the Swedish chain store that it was purchased at, is no longer in business, and filed for bankruptcy half a year ago...

Anyway, the cradle gives its 4.5 volts when measured, so that should work. I first thought was a complete dead battery, as I had let the watch discharge completely while we were at the summer cottage. When we came home a week later, the watch was completely black and putting it on the cradle (and same charging point I have used for over a year) it did nothing but give the lightning bolt for 3 or 4 seconds and then black. Then a small vibration, and same ligthning bolt again for 3-4 seconds, and black again... this process would repeat itself until the battery had absolutely nothing left of power and then the watch just stayed black... When explaining this to Mobvoi, they couldnt do anything without a proof of purchase excuse, so I decided to order a spare battery and replace it. However, after replacing it with an original Mobvoi battery the result was the same. The watch did not turn on, but the lightning bolt showed for 3-4 seconds, then black , then vibrate, then again 3-4 seconds lighting bolt... until the new battery was also depleted.

There is something seriously wrong with either the watch or the cradle, but since nothing changed with the cradle, while the watch wasn't charged for a week, my gut tells me its not the cradle. Unfortunately now I am stuck with an expensive watch (Mobvoi's most expensive watch to be correct) that became a shitty paperweight in less than two years. On top of that, Mobvoi keeps finding excuses to not have to repair anything, and just offer a 20% discount on the next Mobvoi purchase lol... I can tell you one thing: I like their products, but if this is the after sales service, it is definitely the last Mobvoi anything I buy.

I hope someone at Mobvoi with some authority reads this, and can offer a real solution, other than just excuses. I'm sure I'm not the only one who received this as a gift...