TW3 GPS completely inaccurate

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
palexr
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: TW3 GPS completely inaccurate

Post by palexr » Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 am

So, I have found a workaround.

It appears that it is when the watch is connected to a smartphone that it is wildly inaccurate. If it is connected to a phone about 30% is added to the distance.

When I put them phone in airplane mode and disconnect it from my phone the distance is in sync with my Garmin, Huawei GT, my wife's Apple watch and Google Maps.

Pretty useless for a smartwatch...

So it works for runs and rides.

no avatar
Joop.trap

Post by Joop.trap » Sun May 02, 2021 10:40 am

By me the same problem , absolutely incorrect

no avatar
palexr

Post by palexr » Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 pm

So it appears there is a solution of sorts.

The GPS is only really inaccurate is it is connected to a phone. Disconnect the watch from the phone and it returns similar distances to my Garmin and measurements on Google Maps.

So now I have the watch and phone disconnected when I go for a run and it works.

Not ideal for a "smartwatch"...

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Post by garrywadams » Fri May 07, 2021 2:28 am

I've seen this on every Wear OS Watch I've owned. Watches that support built-in GPS will prefer to pull your location from the phone instead of the watch because it's more power efficient. (Just like the watch will prefer data over bluetooth from your phone, even when WiFi is in range, because Bluetooth takes less power than WiFi.)

Your suggestion of disconnecting from the phone before a run or ride is how I do it as well. I typically only bring my phone with me on a run/ride if I'm listening to audio on my headphones. Otherwise, I just leave it at home. I put the watch in "Airplane Mode" and then start my workout. That forces it to use the built-in GPS which is much more accurate than the location data received from the phone over bluetooth.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator