Alarmed and Disappointed

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
Banksy
Cash on hand: Locked

Alarmed and Disappointed

Post by Banksy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Dear Mobvoi team,

I have read with growing alarm and concern the numerous comments that are appearing AND growing in number on your forum and on the kickstarter website regarding poor functionality and operational issues regarding TicwatchII. As a backer using an iOS device, i noted and was made aware that one or two functions would not be available to me through my iPhone due to apple/iOS third party limitation when I originally looked at your project. I felt then that i was making an informed and educated decision and showed my support and belief in you and your project on that basis by backing you. In doing so, i also invested my trust in you.
Sadly, your response to the issues and your handling of the kickstarter prject has seen several problems and disappointments to dat. Whilst o not from your last update that you are doing your best to address the issues regarding DHL fees and i admire you for that, it does not address the functionality issues that WE (the backers) were not have advised of at the point of backing your campaign. I posted a comment on the Kickstarter page following your update and also on your forum, but have not received a reply, so I an contacting you here directly also. Please read the comment below which is taken from my original post and advise me accordingly..
I eagerly await your response by return before taking further action on this matter.
yours sincerely,
karl Banks.

Posted on Kickstarter and your forum:
iOS end users were made aware of certain features not being available due to iOS/Apple- third party restrictions, that's fine, we could make an informed decision to pledge/support your venture. Now, your shipping goods with performance/ function issues that YOU (mobvoi) are aware of but we (your backers) were not at the point of pledging. This is the responsibility of mobvoi to rectify/address prior to shipping, NOT the end users. Please do so. ALSO,stating that there is currently no solution for some of the performance/operational issues is NOT a solution! IF I cannot expect a watch that is not 'fit for purpose' due to Hardware/software or other performance issues that I was NOT informed of AT THE POINT of pledging my support, then PLEASE reimburse me my pledge IN FULL and cancel my 'order'
These issues have left me disenchanted and disappointed with both your (mobvoi's) integrity, commitment and reliability AND SADLY, Kickstarter and future projects also. I will be reluctant to support and pledge in future based on THIS experience.

no avatar
Dccameron

Re: Alarmed and Disappointed

Post by Dccameron » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Seconded.

no avatar
carrieb

Post by carrieb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:10 pm

What he said ^^^
.... one or two missing features is all that I read

no avatar
Acorn Eyes

Post by Acorn Eyes » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:43 pm

I would just like to point out this is a not an alpha product, so obviously a lot of features would be missing. You weren't backing a product that was already made, but rather an idea for a product.

And I would just like to say that in the time given, Mobvoi has made some great progress.

You can't be refunded the money as far as I know according to Kickstarter rules, but I advise you have patience.

no avatar
Soundwave Art

Post by Soundwave Art » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:15 pm

May I ask what features you are wanting that are not yet supported on iOS? I have an iPhone 7 and don't have any issues. Sure, I can't reply to text messages but that was stated in their campaign. I can't install third party apps (which was also stated in the campaign) but this is a product that is still being developed and updated. More features will come with time.

Which watch do you have coming? I know many people that would be happy to purchase it from you if you don't want it.

no avatar
mdeshaies

Post by mdeshaies » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:19 pm

I really don't believe that if you are using an iPhone 7 that you have not had connectivity issues at least. The tic watch spends more time on my wrist buzzing and telling me to restart my phone than it does anything else. I understand other things may come with time, but as a roll out, this was (at least in my opinion), greatly oversold to the point of false advertising. I think the benchmark for a smartwatch/kickstarter project is Pebble, which I have also owned and was (and still is) superior to this project.

no avatar
iSasFTW

Post by iSasFTW » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Most of the issues that have been posted are software issues, therefore they can be fixed over OTA. Could you say which issues you are concerned about? Here are a few I've found.

Some users have had connectivity issues with the iPhone 7 specifically, and some users have even found solutions.

GPS is generally quite accurate, but when the phone is connected, it uses the phone's GPS, and the companion app messes with the locations. Also distance calculation has reportedly been a bit off due to unit conversions.

A lot of the issues have been solved and I'd like to know which issues you are concerned about. My watch has worked perfectly fine (as an Android user) and I wouldn't be surprised if yours did too.

I hope you get your issues addressed soon,

-Sas :)

no avatar
tribble

Post by tribble » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:03 am

I have an iPhone 7.

I received my Onyx today. Exactly when I was told to expect it. It IS a beautiful looking watch. All things considered, there's only one complaint I have at all, so let me address that one first: the link in the Onyx black band use screws that are smaller than a grain of rice. At least half as small. As I had to add four links, I ended up dropping/losing three of the said screws. Did I mention they are small? Small is unfair. THEY ARE TINY! I was nearly at the point of having a perfectly good black Onyx watch that I couldn't wear for lack of two or three TINY screws. Screws that are so small, I couldn't hold them in my generally normal sized fingertips. I used a very expensive pair of tweezers, but something was magnetized, the screw or the tweezers and let me tell you, a magnetized screw (or tweezers) plays hell on getting the TINY screw in the equally TINY screw hole. Very poor selection in an otherwise beautiful product. I hope you'll reconsider the type of fasteners in future bands. At least select links where the screw cannot be fully removed as a compromise.

But on to other things. As I mentioned, this is a beautiful watch. It looked so good, I was certain it wouldn't work. But I was pleasantly surprised. The only issues I had were due to my own impatience and not fully Reading-TFM as I should have (for my Chinese brethren, RTFM is Americanism for 'Read the Fricking Manual'. Substitute "fricking" for the appropriate "F" word in your own language ;-)

I ended up fully resetting the watch at least twice. I had difficulties using the companion app to connect Bluetooth but moving the camera to view the entire watch face solved that problem entirely. I reset again just to test that. The camera should view the entire watch face, not just the QR code on the face. BT pairing problems resolved.

Yes, there are some bugs in their software. Hell, there were more than a few bugs in Apple's WatchOS. And one or two of the capabilities I expected when I backed the watch, and as listed in their matrix, aren't here. So what. I fully expect (although I have no guarantees), that those limitations will be resolved. The way the Mobvoi team addressed the mounting issues of shipping, and capabilities and a half dozen other relentless complaints, leave me more than confident they will do all they can to resolve any residual issues that remain. And frankly, even if they don't, I'm more than satisfied at the integrity they've put forth thus far to more than give them the benefit of the doubt going forward.

In my opinion, if you were willing to back a Kickstarter effort like this watch, then you MUST BE PREPARED to be disappointed in anything from a few bugs, to a complete failure to deliver a product. There were no guarantees a product would even be delivered. You accepted that risk when you chose to back this effort. So Mobvoi, good on you guys (and gals). Great job and just keep up the great work, and maintain that very high level of integrity you've shown us backers up to now. You'll go far and develop a hell of a loyal following. You'll have your own fanboys in no time. Even though there will always be a few detractors, and those that will never be satisfied at anything less than 100% perfection. And that, as anyone involved in software development knows, is a pipe dream. Never gonna happen. Perfection is a goal, not an end-state.

Nice job guys (and gals!). I can hardly wait for what comes next.

r/
Gene
Last edited by tribble on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
tribble

Post by tribble » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:05 am

I just discovered the edit button and added this to my original post. Now if only I could find the delete button...

------
Sorry, I should have added, I have an iPhone 7.

r/
Gene

no avatar
msutherland25

Post by msutherland25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:00 am

I like to think that I'm both patient and have backed many Kickstarter projects. Delivery times never bothered me - they have delivered well on time for a Kickstarter project. However, the iOS support is much worse than expected. I think that it is important to remember that this is supposed to be the international version of a watch that already existed therefore we have to conclude that the iOS limitations were well known and not made clear to potential backers. I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 9 so no pairing issues but for me the weather app doesn't work, no ability to control the native music on the iPhone, it seems to disturb the answering of calls on the phone (eg it lets me know the phone is ringing but then I can't answer the call on the phone sometimes). I strongly suspect that the GPS doesn't work (and neither does it get the last known location from the phone either). Not sure what the point of WiFi is except to allow OTA updates. To be honest, the biggest challenge is to get the battery to last for a whole day. I liked ambient mode but had to turn this off and of course everything other BT is off. There is not much point in tracking how many steps if the watch is sitting on a stand charging twice a day! I will cross my fingers and hope for improvements...