Ticwatch as a Running companion [bug/requests/reviews...]

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
tpanda
Cash on hand: Locked

Ticwatch as a Running companion [bug/requests/reviews...]

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:11 am

Good day All,
I received my watch beginning of this week and would like to comment on my experience so far, list the pro\cons and centralized a bit the requests.
If you have any comments i will add them to the list, to make it easier for Mobvoi, please list your phone model, OS version, App version, watch OS version :geek:

Review
I was not the real public for a smart watch as I was not really convinced about the utility of it, but the price point with GPS and heart monitor made the buy a no-brainer. I was looking to get more insight on my runnings and like some of you, I might be a bit of stats freak so recording all my runs sounded like a nice deal.

I'm not going to comment on the smart/connected features and will concentrate on my running experience.

First, the package is really nice in shape and weight. With the silicone band my charcoal watch is as light (49g) as my already small mechanical watch. So while I'm running I barely notice it. Also the band is a bit stretchy and thus help keep it snugly stuck on your arm, that should help with the heartbeat reader.

Once the activity is launched, you see the total time on the top at all time and then the bottom half can display one of: distance, calories, speed, pace or heartbeat. After a while the display will turn to battery saving (black and white) with the 2 selected info and will only refresh every so often (1min?).

Personally I would have liked to have more than 2 info at once as it's easier to just glance than fiddle with the watch to look at different stats. The screen is bright but in full sun you do need to use a hand to make some shade. Also the colors scheme for the different info is not perfect: the yellow used for calories is very visible, but the red/blue for distance and heart-rate are more difficult to see in my opinion.

To pause or stop the exercise, you tap the watch. Once the activity is completed, a summary screen will display the final numbers and ask you to save or delete. This works relatively ok and will synchronize with my phone next time the watch is connected. However, there is no way to review the saved runs on the watch and the export/synchronization with google fit does not work really (see bugs/requests under).

As for the battery, running an hour (with GPS and heartbeat, no music or other functions, not connected to the phone) uses 20%. On days where i don't run, receive a few notifications and use the display saving (black&white) mode the battery is down 10% after 12h YMMV.

Right now if I had to point the real deal-breaker missing features I would say:
- in activity notification: while some apps have a voice over that will tell the pace every miles, I would say that just a vibration/bip would be perfect.
- The compatibility with other apps is not there yet, I would say the easier would be to have a full raw data (GPX) export function instead of a useless image export. This would allow everyone to import their runs in their favorite app and let Mobvoi concentrate on other aspect of the OS.

Overall I think this was a great purchase, i was expecting young age "defects" as all early-adopters have to accept.
Let's keep faith in Mobvoi, they are still a start-up after all ;)
Cheers!

no avatar
tpanda

Re: Ticwatch as a Running companion [bug/requests/reviews...]

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:12 am

In this post I will list the features requests.
If you have some ideas relative to run/walk/bikes activities, please answer with your config and I will add them to the list.

First priority / deal breakers:

- Mobvoi has a lot of issues to solve, so instead of asking for a specific app compatibility, it would be much easier to have a way to export the raw data (GPS/heartbeat) in a GPX file. As you can see in this review of many running apps (http://jeffhendricks.net/?p=1278), all of them have a GPX import function so I feel this would be the lowest hanging fruit to give your user the freedom to use their app for fitness tracking.
For a definition of the format see: https://strava.github.io/api/v3/uploads/
For examples of GPX with heart-rate see: https://getsatisfaction.com/sportstrack ... m_gpx_file
Forum post related: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9

Needed sooner rather than later:
- Notification while running (vibrate/voice): this is extremely useful so that we don't have to look at the watch to know where we are. The easier would be to have a vibrate mode (on distance or time). A voice over function is more a nice to have at that point and also probably harder to implement.

- The watch is unusable under any rain/as soon as drops are on the screen. The screen is constantly waked up by false activation/ghost touches of the water drop. Also because a touch bring up the cancel/save menu, you have a risk of cancelling your run (which happened to me twice in 10min, i stopped using the watch after). So it seems we need a "lock button" next to the 2 others, it would put the watch in the power saving (black/white display) and the watch would only react if the crown is pressed for a long lime.

- Any way to disable the heart-rate monitor check when the heart is over 185, this is an issue when the reading is not accurate and reports +40 bpm over the real HR.

- Possible to have minutes+seconds in the summary, minutes only is useless for precision work.

Nice to have / if you don't know what to do today:
- Review activities on watch: right now there is no way to see all the recorded activities from the watch. It does not need to be fancy like view the GPS trace, just the global info and option to rename, delete, maybe record a small audio comment?
Last edited by tpanda on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:12 am

In this post I will list the bug report.
If you have some ideas relative to run/walk/bikes activities, please answer with your config and I will add them to the list.

Config list:
[A] : Nexus 5X / Andoid Nougat 7.0 / Ticwear global 4.2.6_intl / FW: 4.2.5_intl

First priority / critical bugs:
-[A] Currently I can see some activities from other people! this is a real privacy problem, also I'm not sure what happen if I delete these activities to clean my list, will that remove them in their owner list too? (in "networkError.png", only the first activity is mine, the 2 other are not)
Forum post related: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97 Fixed in 4.2.8 app, Confirmed?

- multiple people have reported wildly inaccurate GPS distance reading, no sure about the cause yet.
This thread has a few screenshots on the issue : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=81

Hard bugs / workaround available:
- [A] When I start an activities on the watch (not connected to phone), complete it, synch with phone (it will appear in mobvoi app) -> the activity is not synch to google Fit. That is ok as long as we get the export to GPX so we can track in another app.

- [A] I get a network errors when I browse the heath center, and the map does not appear on activities, see screenshot "networkError.png" / "noMap.png" Fixed in 4.2.8 app, Confirmed?

- [A] Global Steps/distance/goal global indicator is not tracking the activities of the day. In "IndicatorsErrors.png" the total milage is 3 for the day when one of the activity is more than 5...

Is that even a bug?

- nothing yet :mrgreen:

[Screen shot]
Attachments
noMap.png
noMap.png (41.33 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
networkError.png
networkError.png (41.35 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
IndicatorsErrors.png
IndicatorsErrors.png (54.19 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
Last edited by tpanda on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 am, edited 11 times in total.

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:13 am

[extra post for future use...]

no avatar
dubal

Post by dubal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 am

I tried my first run last night.

It all appeared to work well, but the GPS didn't record, I believe it was using steps and while the HRM was consistent it was consistently 60 BPM over my actual HRM. So it thought I was dying on an easy run. My Garmin watch had the distance at 10k, as opposed to 8.83 in Ticwear. (I run the same route A LOT so 10k is fairly accurate).

Dubal

no avatar
dubal

Post by dubal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:23 am

double post

no avatar
FatDad

Post by FatDad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Can't get Ticwatch to pair with iPhone 6S. Pairs with iPad Pro no problem... need help!!

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:47 am

Hello Dubal,
I tried to foul the reader by moving the watch a bit further from the skin and got some fluctuation +10 bpm at rest but it was pretty hard to get a bad reading. Most of the time the watch didn't register anything. I've read that apple had issues with tattoos or darker skin colors, maybe someone can report on their experience in these conditions?

I'll retry the same run tomorrow and see how the GPS does, the first one was spot on (compared to google map estimation). Are you sure it locked from the start and you didn't miss the beginning? Unfortunately, as we don't have raw data export yet it's difficult to understand where the inaccuracies comes from.

FatDat,
For ios pairing issues, go in this section: viewforum.php?f=31 you will find some information (I'm on android so I can't help)

Cheers

no avatar
trevorsky

Post by trevorsky » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Issue #1: The running app switches to the heart rate view any time my rate rises to around 185bpm. Is there any way to turn this off? At the end of the run, I am pushing hard and want to know the distance, not my heart rate. It's annoying to have the distance disappear every time it takes a heart rate reading.

Issue #2: The pace shows minutes without seconds. This is practically useless.

Issue #3 (mentioned above as well): No splits or notifications. I like to get a message each mile showing that mile's pace and the overall pace. Would be nice to be able to configure this.

no avatar
jbernal

Post by jbernal » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:32 am

Used the watch for the first time today, to log a run. The distance and speed were way off at the end. More than 50%. No map was available either. Will try again tomorrow.