Ticwatch as a Running companion [bug/requests/reviews...]

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
tpanda
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch as a Running companion [bug/requests/reviews...]

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:59 am

Trevorsky:
I've not done interval running with the watch so, didn't noticed the 185 limit (not even sure I can go up that much anyway), i'll add it to the list.
Good point on the min+sec, i was also annoyed but forgot it.

Jbernal/Trevorsky:
My second run on the same circuit gave me the same distance, so i've not sen the distance issue, I will add it in the list.

Today I did a run under some moderate rain (not typhoon levels), and the watch is unusable. The screen is constantly waked up by false activation/ghost touches of the water drops. Also because a touch brings up the cancel/save menu, you have a risk of cancelling your run (which happened to me twice in 10min, i stopped using the watch after). So it seems we need a lock button next to the 2 others: it would put the watch in the power saving black/white display and the watch would only react if the crown is presses for a long time.
Last edited by tpanda on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jbouchan

Post by jbouchan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:24 am

Unfortunately, my T2 (Tic_4.2.5_intl) is tracking the wrong distance after I go for a run I've been doing for a couple a months. I know I'm running 5K according to my Nexus 6P running Android 7.0 and also based on Google Maps calculations, but my T2 tells me it's about 3.5K or so. It was once accurate, but it was a time when I took my phone w/me and both were connected via Bluetooth. In all other runs, when I left my phone at home and I made sure I started the running activity after my T2 was disconnected from my phone, my T2 calculated the wrong distance.

My Ticwear companion (4.2.8_intl) is also all messed up. Sometimes it reports my runs, some other times it doesn't. Also, I can't get the data in my google Fit even though I did the authorization process in Ticwear.

Any suggestions?

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello jbouchan,
unfortunately no solution yet, the GPS inaccuracy seems to be pretty random, I've yet to see it but as you and other report it is wildly spread.
Also the companion app is pretty trash for now, basically unusable for dedicated running practice, hopefully we can get something working on the independent dev to get the proper features implemented (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=155).
I've not even seen any ticwatch dev answering on that forum yet, so we have no clue if they are interested in our feedbacks...
Cheers

no avatar
jbouchan

Post by jbouchan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 pm

I think I figured what's going on with my GPS issue. Even though I'm in the US I've been tracking my workouts in Km's, which have been completely off. This AM it occurred to me that 'maybe' my T2 was actually tracking my runnings in miles. I converted the results in Km's it was exactly what I ran. Net-net, the T2 Sw is reporting distance in miles even when the watch is configured for Km's. Any thoughts? I will give it a try tomorrow AM again.

no avatar
tpanda

Post by tpanda » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:09 am

So small update, for some reason my android app started to crash so I decided to update it to 4.2.8, but the watch would not synch/connect.
So in the end I had to do a reset and re-pairing... In the process I lost the run I did this morning Grrr

But now it seems that some bugs have been solved:
- I don't see any other people fitness data [can anyone confirm ?]
- the google map is actually loading now when I review my runs

I'll mark the 2 issues as solved.

jbouchan:
Try the 4.2.8, maybe it will solve the unit issue, if you confirm it's still there I'll add it to the list.

no avatar
jbouchan

Post by jbouchan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:15 pm

tpanda,

I'm running the companion app v4.2.8_intl on my Android phone and 4.2.5_intl on my T2. Unfortunately, my problem doesn't seem to be just a unit conversion issue. I set the Units as Imperial (miles) and it recorded a pretty bad distance for the same run I do every morning. So, I'm not sure what's up with my T2...pretty frustrated as this was the main reason I jumped on this bandwagon (for fitness, tracking distance, music player while running = no cellphone with me). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

no avatar
iSasFTW

Post by iSasFTW » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:32 am

jbouchan wrote:tpanda,

I'm running the companion app v4.2.8_intl on my Android phone and 4.2.5_intl on my T2. Unfortunately, my problem doesn't seem to be just a unit conversion issue. I set the Units as Imperial (miles) and it recorded a pretty bad distance for the same run I do every morning. So, I'm not sure what's up with my T2...pretty frustrated as this was the main reason I jumped on this bandwagon (for fitness, tracking distance, music player while running = no cellphone with me). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure, but I think tpanda meant that he took his results and converted them to miles, not the setting?

no avatar
trevorsky

Post by trevorsky » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:37 pm

I tracked a run on Saturday, using both the T2 Fitnesss app and Nike+ Run Club on my Android phone. The T2 logged about a mile and a half extra distance (6.7 miles in Nike+, 8.25 miles in T2). Comparing the maps from the two apps, it's clear that there are occasional accuracy problems from the GPS data on the T2 map. It shows some weird jagged edges on a few parts of the route, while the Nike+ app shows a smooth curve in those same places.

My theory: The Nike+ app is using a smoothing algorithm to correct for occasional GPS issues, while the T2 is using the data exactly as provided.

no avatar
nolanadams08

Post by nolanadams08 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:54 pm

+1 to all of this. Especially a fan of:

-Export our data in GPX format.
-Vibrating notification each mile/km while running.
-Minutes+seconds in summary. Absolutely. No reason for this to be missing.

Other things that would be nice:
-More than two statistics visible at one time while running, and customization of what's visible (e.g. Time + Distance + Pace OR Heart Rate + Pace + Calories)
-Ability to set an "always on" functionality while running. Either keep the screen on the whole time or have real-time updates in the power-saving screen (rather than 1x/minute updates)

no avatar
Deanerh

Post by Deanerh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Great thread. I'd put the color scheme up in the "must fix" category. Went for my first run today and with sunglasses on, the lower half was really hard to read unless I cranked screen brightness up to max. Let's forgo cool color schemes for readability.