Successfully sideloaded Android Wear app! (Post working apps here too!)

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
iSasFTW
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Successfully sideloaded Android Wear app! (Post working apps here too!)

Post by iSasFTW » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

trevorsky wrote:
iSasFTW wrote:
trevorsky wrote:Has anybody tried to sideload something like RunKeeper or MapMyRun?

I can't find the Android Wear APK anywhere for it... Just the APK for the normal one. I mean, I can sideload that one too, but the AW would be better.

Are the Wear APK files stored inside the main app APK? I'm out of touch with how Wear development happens.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that's how it works. I just don't know how to extract one APK from another APK :P

no avatar
LGSONE

Post by LGSONE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:06 am

www.apkmirror.com
www.apklinker.com

Here are a couple of mirrors. I am using this to sideload apps onto my tablet. Thought I'd get up to speed and work thru the error messages before diving into doing it on my watch and good thing I did. Sideloading introduces dependency's for apps to run. So in order for apps to work, one must install additional supporting apk's to get the app to function.

LGS

no avatar
iSasFTW

Post by iSasFTW » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:41 pm

LGSONE wrote:http://www.apkmirror.com
http://www.apklinker.com

Here are a couple of mirrors. I am using this to sideload apps onto my tablet. Thought I'd get up to speed and work thru the error messages before diving into doing it on my watch and good thing I did. Sideloading introduces dependency's for apps to run. So in order for apps to work, one must install additional supporting apk's to get the app to function.

LGS

I've been sideloading Android apps, and some of them work fine. It's just that there is no good APK mirror for Android wear apps.

I've been looking at those mirrors, and have used them before, but if they have an APK for an AW app, it's usually located inside a normal Android APK, which I don't know how to extract from.

no avatar
LGSONE

Post by LGSONE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:16 pm

I extracted android wear micro apk from the last 1.5, will also try to do the same with the beta 2.0 AW. I also extracted the google play services. Root access or booting into recovery is something I'm not too sure about at the moment. Check out adbGUI, helps with connections and those not thrilled with CLI ADB.

I can post a share if anyone want to take the files for a spin.

LGS

no avatar
iSasFTW

Post by iSasFTW » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:36 am

LGSONE wrote:I extracted android wear micro apk from the last 1.5, will also try to do the same with the beta 2.0 AW. I also extracted the google play services. Root access or booting into recovery is something I'm not too sure about at the moment. Check out adbGUI, helps with connections and those not thrilled with CLI ADB.

LGS

That's cool! I'm not sure I want to start flashing AW onto my watch though, since it's not configured for the Ticwatch 2's hardware.

Have you figured out how to extract the AW apk from an Android app, not the actual AW? (Or is that what you meant all along?)

Anyway, will check out adbGUI, thanks!

no avatar
vijay555

Post by vijay555 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:04 pm

LGSONE wrote:I extracted android wear micro apk from the last 1.5, will also try to do the same with the beta 2.0 AW. I also extracted the google play services. Root access or booting into recovery is something I'm not too sure about at the moment. Check out adbGUI, helps with connections and those not thrilled with CLI ADB.

LGS

I've tried most methods I can find for rooting it but the traditional tools don't work (KingoRoot etc). I've started some conversations on XDA Forums
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... stcount=20
and the recommendation is to use MTK droid Tools, but this works with a wired connection, and without the dock I only have access to an adb wifi connection.
I imagine with the dock we can get proper root access.

Also - sideloaded apps run much better if you lower the DPI a bit. Let me know if you need a guide.

V

no avatar
LGSONE

ES File Explorer V4.1.4.1 Running on Ticwatch 2 just fine.

Post by LGSONE » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:12 am

ES File Explorer V4.1.4.1 successfully side loaded and functioning as intended. If your watch is connected to LAN, it even successfully finds other hosts and allows smb browsing. However login to hosts with requirements for a user password, not possible without keyboard input. Anonymous user login is possible. I need to play with it some more but no crashing, no issue other than round screen vs. phone. A Wear version would be great for file viewing management. AirDroid would be great to have the ability to run on it too.. One app at a time.

File available from APKPure.com

LGS

no avatar
iSasFTW

Re: ES File Explorer V4.1.4.1 Running on Ticwatch 2 just fine.

Post by iSasFTW » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:29 am

LGSONE wrote:ES File Explorer V4.1.4.1 successfully side loaded and functioning as intended. If your watch is connected to LAN, it even successfully finds other hosts and allows smb browsing. However login to hosts with requirements for a user password, not possible without keyboard input. Anonymous user login is possible. I need to play with it some more but no crashing, no issue other than round screen vs. phone. A Wear version would be great for file viewing management. AirDroid would be great to have the ability to run on it too.. One app at a time.

File available from APKPure.com

LGS

Cool! I've added it to the OP!

no avatar
primod808

Post by primod808 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:53 am

Anyone try using the Chinese version of android wear app?

no avatar
kryne

Post by kryne » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:04 am

I was able to get MX Player working. Then, using adb and the command "adb push *filename* /sdcard/". I was able to push over a video file to the SD card and play it on the watch. The file I pushed was a .mkv, and, while it played fine, the audio didn't work. Need to try it with different file formats

edit: MX player crashes after a few seconds, but when i tried playing an mp4 file the audio did work. I also managed to get the official Reddit app to work. Cant log in of course without a keyboard, but you can still browse just fine