Successfully sideloaded Android Wear app! (Post working apps here too!)

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
kryne
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Successfully sideloaded Android Wear app! (Post working apps here too!)

Post by kryne » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 am

Hey, so instead of MX player I sideloaded VLC onto the watch and its much more stable. I watched an entire episode of bob's burgers on my watch. You don't have any control over the video when it runs though, you can't pause, change volume, advance, rewind, etc.
You can also use VLC to play the music loaded onto your watch from the watch speaker, as opposed to having to stream from your watch to some device.

no avatar
PvB

Post by PvB » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:35 pm

It's not an Android Wear app but a full Android one, but still - I sideloaded Boxee Thumb Remote to the watch today to control my Boxee Box, and it works just fine. Looks a little weird, but still :)

no avatar
Negriton

Post by Negriton » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Are you saying that some NORMAL Android apps can be run on our watch?

Could someone try some GPS apps like WAZE, HERE+ or so on?

And...acould someone try Tapatalk too¿?

no avatar
dlewis39

Post by dlewis39 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:02 am

What version of android wear are you running? I tried 2.0, unsuccessful. I also tried 1.5 and when I try to launch it, i get a message saying it needs Google Play Services. It also mentions that you can download the Chinese version if trying to run on a Chinese device.

no avatar
Viper

Post by Viper » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:57 am

I've sideloaded the Shazam mirco app - which I extracted from the 7.2 full version apk. App starts ok, but records no sound. However, in 'Permissions' I see the 'Record audio' for Shazam :(

no avatar
PvB

Post by PvB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:14 am

Negriton wrote:Are you saying that some NORMAL Android apps can be run on our watch?

Could someone try some GPS apps like WAZE, HERE+ or so on?

And...acould someone try Tapatalk too¿?

Yes, the TIcOS is based on "Normal" Android, and there is no reason "normal" Android apps shouldn't work, provided the hardware requisities aren't too high and API level is on par with Android 5.1. You have to consider the limited space on both screen and memory, but other than that you can try anything :)

I won't try any GPS, though - without input method on watch I don't see the point.

no avatar
Negriton

Post by Negriton » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 am

I had Waze installed in another smartwatch with Android and I could use it... Waze has an input voice buttom that it's accesible in a round screen...

How can I get the Micro App from a apk¿? i will try it

and just to understand....is not possible to install the apk directly? Why we have tu use the Micro app and what's the micro app?

Thanks

no avatar
PvB

Post by PvB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:57 am

[quote="Negriton"]I had Waze installed in another smartwatch with Android and I could use it... Waze has an input voice buttom that it's accesible in a round screen...

How can I get the Micro App from a apk¿? i will try it

and just to understand....is not possible to install the apk directly? Why we have tu use the Micro app and what's the micro app?

Thanks[/quote

I don't use Waze, or Here for that matter, so... First off I would guess that voice input is built for Google Play services and not for OK Tico ;) I'd be surprised if it works, but try it.

Second: As I understand it noone has managed to get communication between a AW app and the Phone yet. If that is the case, you will need to install the full Waze app as I understand it. It should be possible to install it, if it works is another matter. Just remember that you have to get a version that has an API level of 22 or lower. That is, a version that is built to work on Android 5.1

The micro-apk is the Android Wear part of the app, usually it resides in the /res/raw container.

no avatar
Negriton

Post by Negriton » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes.. It should be installed the full version...and... I would say that the only one that can be usefull would be Here Maps due to you can download a map to use it offline....

Let's see if its possible to find a 22-or lower-API version...

I'll try it this night

another Question.... What Do I have to do? just as a normal phone? slideload the apk and install it clicking on it?

no avatar
PvB

Post by PvB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Negriton wrote:Yes.. It should be installed the full version...and... I would say that the only one that can be usefull would be Here Maps due to you can download a map to use it offline....

Let's see if its possible to find a 22-or lower-API version...

I'll try it this night

another Question.... What Do I have to do? just as a normal phone? slideload the apk and install it clicking on it?

I install it through adb, there is an excellent guide here in the forum. Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZyEmHJuEw
Regarding the full version of apps - there are good and bad ways to handle different screen size/resolutions when making an app. This will effect what you get on your watch. To have complicated apps running on the 1.4 inch screen may make everything really tiny and impractical to use.