Option 1024 in developer mode

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

LePaladin
Cash on hand: Locked

Option 1024 in developer mode

Post by LePaladin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:46 pm

In the Ticwear app, there is a developer mode. In the menu at the top left, at the bottom, there is the version number. By pressing it several times, this developer mode is activated.

Question: What is the purpose of menu 1024? Sync phone apps to ticwatch ???

aksiom

Re: Option 1024 in developer mode

Post by aksiom » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:42 pm

1024 = AW = Android Wear (Compatibility mode)

Turning on AW compatibility mode will change the Sync Apps functionality of Ticwear companion app: beside Ticwear apps, it will also start syncing Android Wear apps from your phone.

If nothing's happening after the watch reboots, try tapping Sync Apps in Ticwear app. It may take a few minutes (depending on how many apps on the phone support Android Wear) for app icons to start showing up in Ticwatch app drawer:

AndroidWearApps.jpg
AndroidWearApps.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 37604 times

Android Wear companion app isn't needed nor will work.

Mobvoi did mention some 3rd party apps that work in their update Update #11. It seems they were talking about the current state of compatibility mode as games and some watchfaces do work. These are some games I tried without a problem:

Basically, any app that doesn't require communication with the phone will work. So, yes. These are mostly games and watchfaces which aren't configured via phone (also, temperature/steps info usually isn't available).

Unfortunately, most useful apps won't work. e.g., Glympse, Google Authenticator, Weather Timeline etc. :(

However, there may be some useful utilities that don't require phone connectivity, e.g.,

Beside the limitations of AW compatibility mode, it's also unfortunate there's no way to hide or sort apps in Ticwatch app drawer.

LePaladin

Post by LePaladin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 am

Awesome ! :D Thank you for this very complete explanation !! :ugeek:
I'll test that too.

no avatar
ThewebguyFL

Post by ThewebguyFL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:55 pm

This is great BUT how can you delete apps that dont work and keep the ones that do.
Anyone have a nice list of apps that work with this method above.
I got The flappy birds and Space invaders to work

no avatar
Candid

Post by Candid » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:11 pm

You can print a list of the installed packages:
adb shell pm list packages

And you can uninstall apps with their package name:
adb shell pm uninstall <packagename>

Not really comfortable but it works.

aksiom

Post by aksiom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Candid wrote:And you can uninstall apps with their package name:
adb shell pm uninstall <packagename>

While this indeed works i.e. deletes apps that don't work, it's not the solution and I wouldn't recommend it.
This unnecessarily wastes TicWatch battery as the apps will be installed back on next App Sync.

no avatar
ThewebguyFL

Post by ThewebguyFL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:51 pm

So in a nutshell they can not be deleted until they update the watch because they will auto be reinstalled at next sync

aksiom

Post by aksiom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:33 pm

ThewebguyFL wrote:So in a nutshell they can not be deleted until they update the watch because they will auto be reinstalled at next sync

It's by design :| Android Wear (current version) also doesn't provide an option to remove an app from the watch as these companion-apps are bundled together with phone apps. Android Wear 2.0 - due early next year - will allow separate installs.

There are, however, workarounds by installing a custom launcher. E.g. Wear Mini Launcher. You can try it out yourself on TicWatch in AW compat. mode. Please note that you cannot configure it (as full configuration is only available via phone). By default it will replace OK Tico (slide from left). That can be disabled (uncheck Enable drawer in WMLauncher on the watch), but then it's pretty much useless. Anyhow, it's OK for getting the idea of "hiding" apps that Mobvoi could implement. You can hide an app in Wear Mini Launcher by long-holding its icon.

While TicWear has some advantages versus Android Wear 1.x, it has a lot of catching up to do with Android Wear 2.0. It's almost out and looks very good.

I'm kinda worried what we can expect from Mobvoi store. Mobvoi sold roughly around 18.000 Global Edition watches on Kickstarter. You can add up 100.000 units sold in China (April). Allegedly, Samsung sold 180.000 in just 8 hours after putting them for sale. Yet, their app store is still filled with mediocre content. TicWear makes much sense as third option for China where developers are stimulated by lack of Android Wear as an option (no Google services). But for Global edition it's hard to convince developers to wrap Google Play Services with Mobvoi Mobile Service (enabling support for both platforms) - which is the only option to monetize the development (via Google's app store) or have official support by big service providers (Twitter, Google, Here, Glympse); read "quality apps". Sure, Mobvoi can partner with some of them and provide out-of-the-box experience but any updates regarding such services will depend on TicWear release cycle. To sound less harsh, I do plan to develop several apps for Mobvoi store. :ugeek:

aksiom

Post by aksiom » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Until Global Mobvoi store gets populated, I would suggest using Chinese Mobvoi store instead of using AW compatibility mode.
I've made a tutorial for anyone who wants to switch from Global to Chinese Mobvoi store here.

AW compatibility mode should be avoided as it just wastes watch resources. I.e. if you're using Viber, it will install Viber companion app on the watch which isn't compatible with TicWear (AW cards); many apps don't work and so on. So, I would simply suggest to use ported apps through Chinese Mobvoi store. Most of the apps are translated to english (app titles in the store are in chinese, but many apps are in english when installed).

no avatar
hansvanthag

Post by hansvanthag » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm

I have the 1024 mode enabled on latest 4.2.9 companion but cant get watchmaker to work (watchfaces dont show Up apart from a default digital face),
Do I need to downgrade companion to 4.2.4 ? (Had trouble pairing with my phone so would like to avoid need to re-pair) .. think I read somewhere that java classes where rescoped with _global extension which might be a reason. But also read stories about cleaning/renaming the beautifullWatches directory on the watch .. anybody shed some light please?