Suspect NO GPS in T2

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
bbtanghk
Cash on hand: Locked

Suspect NO GPS in T2

Post by bbtanghk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:01 pm

When I switch off mobile data and GPS from my phone (S7 edge), I can't perform voice command from my watch, also not able to locate myself so I suspect GPS is a joke and actually does not exist in T2.

I've also tried to locate myself using T2 by voice command "Where am I", but returned "Can not locate current location", and nowhere I can find how to turn on/off the GPS in my watch, not in any setting, not any function.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll definitely ask for return if this is true.

no avatar
Candid

Re: Suspect NO GPS in T2

Post by Candid » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:41 pm

It has GPS. Start Fitness App and start/record a walk e.g. and later after sync you can view your recorded GPS track in Global companion app.

no avatar
bbtanghk

Post by bbtanghk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 am

Have you ever tried to turn off mobile data and GPS in your phone and try to walk with T2 alone ? I tried and track information can not be sync back to the phone, only steps and mins.

Nowhere in the watch can proof they have GPS, can anyone can verify there's a GPS in the watch and can work alone without a phone?

no avatar
Candid

Post by Candid » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Hm, I thought I have but maybe I always had my mobile with me.

I tried it and you are right, I see the GPS symbol flashing but after I reconnect via bluetooth and sync the walk (only went to the window inside but should be enough to get gps signal after 4 mins) there is no map only steps and time data. Doing the same while my mobile is connected I get a track shown and gps of my mobile is turned on automatically when I start the walk on the ticwatch.

Mobvoi should clarify this.

no avatar
bbtanghk

Post by bbtanghk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:17 am

Yes, Mobvoi should clarify this, this become a big issue as what they claimed in their webpage and specification actually does not exist in their product.

I suggest they should clarify asap by creating a firmware update to add the GPS checking function to settle this.

no avatar
Candid

Post by Candid » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 am

Now we have three threads talking about gps or no gps? Read my answer in the following thread:
http://forum.ticwear.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1519#p3657

It has gps but (first?) fix takes loooong time. Hopefully next time it will be much faster.

We need a gps app or compatibility to some android wear apps like SatStat that has a wear version called YGPS.
A really good free app that is available on F-Droid:
https://mvglasow.github.io/satstat/
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/? ... el.satstat

That's the best you can get for GPS on Android ;-)

I have developer mode and 1024 mode active and so I got the wear version synced to my ticwatch2 but currently it is not compatible what is a pitty ;-(

no avatar
bbtanghk

Post by bbtanghk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 am

Hi, unfortunately, it didn't work. I've tried to walk without connecting to my phone, I can see the GPS signal is flashing, but it never lock and steady , keep flashing for almost 30 mins. Up to now, seems no one can make use of the GPS smoothly and accurately, and even failed in my case. This is a big joke, I do expect that Mobovi can fix it asap, as top priority.

no avatar
jerryeight

Post by jerryeight » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 am

Hi All,

Please include the following information when asking for assistance.

Phone:
Phone OS:
Watch OS Version:

no avatar
stevhe

Post by stevhe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:55 pm

it's not a suspect, it's real. GPS doesn't work.
GPS stand alone was the principal detail that convinced me to buy this watch......

MOBVOI WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ABOUT THAT?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm3h7bashkc58 ... 4.jpg?dl=0
Attachments
1484830566794.jpg
1484830566794.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 8371 times

no avatar
Candid

Post by Candid » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 pm

GPS works fine. But first fix needs very long. 9 minutes for me of no movement and under free view to the (cloudy) sky. After the first fix it only takes some seconds for gps fix.

Because an app cannot read from the internal gps does not mean that it has no gps.