Some questions

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
kaijday
Cash on hand: Locked

Some questions

Post by kaijday » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm thinking of buying a Ticwatch, seeing my my Pebble Time 2 order is out!

I'd likely use my old Pebble still for gym/running (as I don't mind carrying my phone around) but it is a little dated these days and I do like the more premium look of the Ticwatch. So I'd likely use it at work and when out.

Some questions though. Can steps etc still be synced to Google fit? Can I also use Strava for if I do decide I don't wish to carry my phone on a run.

Is battery life as bad as I have seen people make out? Will the watch not last me a work-day at least?

Finally, what is shipping time to the UK like?

Many thanks!
Kai

TheOnlyBuster

Re: Some questions

Post by TheOnlyBuster » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 pm

The watch can be synced with Google Fit, RunKeeper, and Strava. Though I believe the watch only tracks heart rate and distance rather than your exact path traveled. Basically the content on Google Fit, which is the activity app I use.

Battery life depends how you setup and use the watch. When I turn on ALL the features (Wifi, Pedometer, Tico Assistant, Notifications, Bluetooth, Gyroscope, Ambient) and do my workout I get just over a day of battery life. When I turn off Wif and Ambient Light my battery life extends into the second day with little problem.
When I set up the automatic Power Reserve I can easily get a couple days.

For myself currently: Wifi (off nearly all the time), Bluetooth on and connected for about 10-14hrs per day, Pedometer (on), Tico Assistant w/ Hot word (on), Ambient Mode (off), Brightness (2/3), Power Reserve (auto 10p - 7a). I'm currently 5 hours into Day 2 and I have 72% battery.
In the past 2 days i've had 6 phone calls, and 711 notifications (calls, texts, messaging, phone stuff).

But the best thing is the recharge time. 1-2hrs from 10% and I'm good to go. Also Power Reserve mode just makes the TicWatch 2 a simple watch that displays the time. I've seen Power Reserve allow a watch to go over a week effortlessly on a single charge.

So to answer your question, I average at least 2 full days on battery with my regular day to day use before I feel the need to recharge (typically at about 20% battery).
The first few days I was about 1/2 to 1 day, but then again I was ALWAYS doing something with or on the smartwatch.

For your last question, I'm in the US so I can't effectively answer that. But from what I've seen, basically standard shipping times from Hong Kong apply. For me this is 3-6 weeks.

no avatar
kaijday

Post by kaijday » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 am

TheOnlyBuster wrote:The watch can be synced with Google Fit, RunKeeper, and Strava. Though I believe the watch only tracks heart rate and distance rather than your exact path traveled. Basically the content on Google Fit, which is the activity app I use.

Battery life depends how you setup and use the watch. When I turn on ALL the features (Wifi, Pedometer, Tico Assistant, Notifications, Bluetooth, Gyroscope, Ambient) and do my workout I get just over a day of battery life. When I turn off Wif and Ambient Light my battery life extends into the second day with little problem.
When I set up the automatic Power Reserve I can easily get a couple days.

For myself currently: Wifi (off nearly all the time), Bluetooth on and connected for about 10-14hrs per day, Pedometer (on), Tico Assistant w/ Hot word (on), Ambient Mode (off), Brightness (2/3), Power Reserve (auto 10p - 7a). I'm currently 5 hours into Day 2 and I have 72% battery.
In the past 2 days i've had 6 phone calls, and 711 notifications (calls, texts, messaging, phone stuff).

But the best thing is the recharge time. 1-2hrs from 10% and I'm good to go. Also Power Reserve mode just makes the TicWatch 2 a simple watch that displays the time. I've seen Power Reserve allow a watch to go over a week effortlessly on a single charge.

So to answer your question, I average at least 2 full days on battery with my regular day to day use before I feel the need to recharge (typically at about 20% battery).
The first few days I was about 1/2 to 1 day, but then again I was ALWAYS doing something with or on the smartwatch.

For your last question, I'm in the US so I can't effectively answer that. But from what I've seen, basically standard shipping times from Hong Kong apply. For me this is 3-6 weeks.
Perfect answer, thank you.

no avatar
Candid

Post by Candid » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:16 pm

It tracks gps too. After you synced you can go to the ticware companion app and choose Health and there you see the gps tracked route on the app and other data of a recorded trip. For me it lasts about 1 - 2 days with only some litte actions done (notifications on (20 - 30 per day) and about 3 calls). I recognized that ambient mode does use less battery than activated gesture that turns the display. The intelligence of this gesture is very bad and so it turns the display on way to often.

I have all gestures deactivated and wifi of only BT is always on and I schedule sleep mode from 00:00 - 5:00. With this configuration and usage it lasts most time 2 complete days. Normally I put it on the charging cradle on second day afternoom because I don't want to run out of battery when I am not at home in the evening ;-).

Battery life is a poorly on typical smartwatches and nothing compared to a Pebble. It's the same when I switched from my good old Palm Vx to my first Windows PDA (from standby 2 weeks to 2 days). You will hate it but it get's normal to you after some time.

The steps counter is very inaccurate it counts way to much steps but hopefully they will fix this with new firmware versions. Today the update from 4.4.2_intl to 4.5.2_intl_a1 (beta) came out so all I wrote is for version 4.4.2_intl. gps tracking is ok but could be more accurate too.