GPS help

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
hmcguire
Cash on hand: Locked

GPS help

Post by hmcguire » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 pm

I've searched through the forums and people have mentioned they don't believe there is an internal GPS because the routes aren't accurate for length and their GPS symbol never locks. I can't even see a GPS symbol or a map of my route which I assume exists based on references. Even if I start outdoor run/walk, there is no GPS symbol on the start screen before hitting start. Starting to feel like an idiot. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

no avatar
hmcguire

Re: GPS help

Post by hmcguire » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Well, for anyone else that seems to be having this issue, I figured out what the problem was. You have to actually turn your bluetooth off on your phone in order to get the GPS to even try to lock in on your phone. Once I turned off bluetooth and hit "outdoor run" or "outdoor walk" it gave me a message alerting me to stand in one place until GPS locks in, and when I click ok, it goes back to the start screen and the GPS symbol at least flashes. I haven't actually waited to see if I can get it to lock in, but that's at least how to get it to appear.

no avatar
Anstds

Post by Anstds » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank U!

I didn't know that.

Regards!

no avatar
Candid

Post by Candid » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 am

I already wrote this in another thread. When the watch is connected to your smartphone it uses the smartphones gps what is not a bad idea but you did not know this as I did. ;-)

When you only have your watch with you or disable the connection to the smartphone then you will get the flashing gps symbol on the watch. If your watch never had a gps fix before you will have to wait very long for a steady gps symbol that show you that the watch has a gps fix. For me it took 9 minutes in good condition with free view (only cloudy) to the sky. After this the clock tracks with the internal gps recevier what works more or less good.

After the watch had a first fix the next time it will get a gps fix much quicker. For me it takes only some seconds now.