GPS offset?

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
BasM
Cash on hand: Locked

GPS offset?

Post by BasM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi,
I tried a walk with the fitness app and everything has been recorded.
However, when looking back on the workout, on my iphone 6, I get all the details but the route showing on the map is quite off.
It seems my location is not precisely mapped on the map.

To make sure it wasn't the actual signal, I've waited 5 minutes outside (just to make sure the GPS is locked) and did another walk. Unfortunately the same offset is noticeable. Not sure if it's the GPS who's causing it or when overlaying it on a map.

no avatar
somerset

Re: GPS offset?

Post by somerset » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:16 pm

When you start your walk, can you take a look at the GPS icon to see if it is flashing? Sometimes it takes longer for GPS to locate, especially if there are buildings blocking the signal.

Mobvoi
Site Admin

Post by Mobvoi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Topic moved to iOS subforum

no avatar
cellarboy

Post by cellarboy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:43 pm

BasM wrote:Hi,
However, when looking back on the workout, on my iphone 6, I get all the details but the route showing on the map is quite off.

To make sure it wasn't the actual signal, I've waited 5 minutes outside (just to make sure the GPS is locked) and did another walk. Unfortunately the same offset is noticeable. Not sure if it's the GPS who's causing it or when overlaying it on a map.

How far off was the location? My watch is between 4 to 6km due west off each time I use the GPS.

no avatar
chriseow

Post by chriseow » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 am

BasM wrote:Hi,

Hi, just curious. How do you see the map? When I use the Ticwear app and access via Health, I only see stats like duration, km etc. etc.

[EDITED] Pls disregard these feedback. Realized that my watch could have a GPS problem.
Last edited by chriseow on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
chriseow

Post by chriseow » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

somerset wrote:When you start your walk, can you take a look at the GPS icon to see if it is flashing? Sometimes it takes longer for GPS to locate, especially if there are buildings blocking the signal.

Does flashing means it is locked on? My GPS is very inaccurate... For a 2.2 km run, I always get a distance reading of slightly less than 1 km.

no avatar
somerset

Post by somerset » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:13 am

Flashing means it hasn't finished locating yet. Sometimes it takes several minutes to locate...

no avatar
chriseow

Post by chriseow » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:44 am

somerset wrote:Flashing means it hasn't finished locating yet. Sometimes it takes several minutes to locate...

Hi, I have 2 watches. One (mine) is forever flashing, and the other (my son's) is able to acquire the GPS signal (flashes for a while and then becomes solid) within a minute. I have sent an email to support but up to now, no one has responded. Will appreciate some followup.