Equivalent of Night Mode - will we ever see it?

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

krakout
Cash on hand: Locked

Equivalent of Night Mode - will we ever see it?

Post by krakout » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 am

So, coming from a Fitbit Ionic to a Ticwatch Pro 3. As far as technology goes - day and night. I'm loving my 3.

But of course there's always something you wish carried over form your previous product. In my case: Night Mode.

The Ionic had a quick setting which:

-silenced the watch
-disabled raise-to-turn-on
-dimmed the display as much as possible, when on.

This made it very bed-friendly.

...in Wear OS things are much less practical:
-I can turn on Theater Mode - and it gets disabled when I press a button. So if I want to check the time during the night I then have to hunt for the notification shade and re-enable theater-mode
-I can switch it to airplane mode and/or turn sounds off. But that's not really what I want.
-even if I go into the quick settings, display, and set the brightness to dim, it's still way too bright for a room with no lights on. Even the Essential mode, which I love, is too bright, much to the annoyance of my SO.

Theater mode, meanwhile, comes with its own set of issues:
-When you wake up the phone through a button it takes you straight to the brightly lit main screen whereas it could, at least, light up a dimmed second screen
-if I set an alarm and Theater Mode is on, and the alarm goes off, the screen doesn't always light up to give access to the alarm controls; instead, most of the times you need to press the physical button, which takes you to the watchface and THEN you have to pull up the notifications shade and control the alarm through that. This really sounds buggy.

So... really, I can't believe I'm the only one wanting a quick way to settle for the night, am I missing something?

krakout

Re: Equivalent of Night Mode - will we ever see it?

Post by krakout » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:13 am

No? I'm the only one who thinks this would be useful? :D

no avatar
preston.pappaws

Post by preston.pappaws » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:18 am

Just came across this topic. I agree. Night mode is much needed. Agree with everything you said!

krakout

Post by krakout » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 am

preston.pappaws wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:18 am
Just came across this topic. I agree. Night mode is much needed. Agree with everything you said!
Well, surprisingly it seems we are in the minority here... Probably most people haven't tried other products/solutions so they don't see the benefit, sadly.

no avatar
Snowborde

Post by Snowborde » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:28 pm

krakout wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 am
So, coming from a Fitbit Ionic to a Ticwatch Pro 3. As far as technology goes - day and night. I'm loving my 3.

But of course there's always something you wish carried over form your previous product. In my case: Night Mode.

The Ionic had a quick setting which:

-silenced the watch
-disabled raise-to-turn-on
-dimmed the display as much as possible, when on.

This made it very bed-friendly.

...in Wear OS things are much less practical:
-I can turn on Theater Mode - and it gets disabled when I press a button. So if I want to check the time during the night I then have to hunt for the notification shade and re-enable theater-mode
-I can switch it to airplane mode and/or turn sounds off. But that's not really what I want.
-even if I go into the quick settings, display, and set the brightness to dim, it's still way too bright for a room with no lights on. Even the Essential mode, which I love, is too bright, much to the annoyance of my SO.

Theater mode, meanwhile, comes with its own set of issues:
-When you wake up the phone through a button it takes you straight to the brightly lit main screen whereas it could, at least, light up a dimmed second screen
-if I set an alarm and Theater Mode is on, and the alarm goes off, the screen doesn't always light up to give access to the alarm controls; instead, most of the times you need to press the physical button, which takes you to the watchface and THEN you have to pull up the notifications shade and control the alarm through that. This really sounds buggy.

So... really, I can't believe I'm the only one wanting a quick way to settle for the night, am I missing something?
Completely agree with you.

The only solution they give is the theater mode and this option makes it an odyssey to turn off or snooze the alarm.

I do not understand how a band that is worth € 20 or € 30 gives you this basic option.

Hopefully they take note and do something about it.

krakout

Post by krakout » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 am

Theater mode is just silly in this context.

As to how a brand can give a feature or not, I think it's down to a very simple fact: whether the devs (of the watch or the OS, in this case, let's not forget about Google!) use the device for a number of days or not. Because if someone actually used it as their daily driver they'd have seen the need immediately.