Use GPS only from the smartwatch

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir

no avatar
philipp.82
Cash on hand: Locked

Use GPS only from the smartwatch

Post by philipp.82 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:37 am

HI guys,
is there a way to use the GPS-data only from the watch instead of "watch & smartphone" (when connected)
In the preferences I see the option "use GPS from watch & phone". When I disable it and start Maps or other App that uses GPS I get the message to activate the option.
The problem is that my phone GPS is very inaccurate and slow. I prefer to use the GPS receiver from the watch when GPS is needed on the watch.
The only way I know is to deactivate Bluetooth on the phone to disconnect from the watch.

Smartwatch: last firmware (03.2021)
Smartphone: SONY XZ1compact

no avatar
philip.f.green

Re: Use GPS only from the smartwatch

Post by philip.f.green » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:08 am

philipp.82 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:37 am
HI guys,
is there a way to use the GPS-data only from the watch instead of "watch & smartphone" (when connected)
In the preferences I see the option "use GPS from watch & phone". When I disable it and start Maps or other App that uses GPS I get the message to activate the option.
The problem is that my phone GPS is very inaccurate and slow. I prefer to use the GPS receiver from the watch when GPS is needed on the watch.
The only way I know is to deactivate Bluetooth on the phone to disconnect from the watch.

Smartwatch: last firmware (03.2021)
Smartphone: SONY XZ1compact
One of the moderators stated elsewhere on the forum that this is an inherent "feature" of WearOS: If the watch can get a satellite signal (not only GPS, there are four other systems), then it will use the phone's data in order to save watch battery.
You can turn off bluetooth in watch and/or phone, then the watch will be forced to use its inbuilt satellite reception for lack of any alternative but you won't get any more notifications from phone to watch.

no avatar
philipp.82

Re: Use GPS only from the smartwatch

Post by philipp.82 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:50 pm

That's what I thought.
I tried to use only the GPS from the watch and from the phone. Can't see big differences at the battery drain.
I think if the GPS sensor of the watch is good it would be better to use it instead of use Bluetooth to ask the data from the phone every second.
The sensor of the watch is good. I was 12km hiking with a friend. He had a GARMIN Forerunner 245. The difference between the recorded distances was only app. 200m.