Android Wear Oreo. *Final Update*

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
janbijdetijd
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Android Wear Oreo update.

Post by janbijdetijd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 pm

To motorro,
There is also a safety-issue. I presume that with the upgrade to Oreo comes the most recent safety_patch?! Now is the version of the safetypatch on the watch from 2017 october 5. We are in risk!. :shock:

no avatar
Ogar1978

Post by Ogar1978 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Updates do not ussually break things.
While there could be some glitches they fix problems unless you are getting a major OS update.
What bothers me about the update being delayed is many other manufacturers have updated to Oreo and have not had issues. This gives me concern that either Mobvi is not putting full support Into their products or they are having major issues with the update both of which is not a good sign.
Android is a great platform and I believe it is important to own products that put full support Into their products even after launch.
I hope I'm wrong but this delay is concerning.

no avatar
Makkos

Post by Makkos » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:11 am

Jamie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 pm
We are in the final stages of testing. There were some bugs encountered which has led to some delays and we want to ensure there are no software issues when we release it for you guys. Thank you for the patience. I will definitely update more on the progress in the following days.

Best regards,
Jamie
Hy Jamie!

Any new news? :D Following days is more than a week? :D
Please give us some info! ^^

Thanks, Adam :)

no avatar
chetangoswani

Post by chetangoswani » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 am

Jamie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 pm
We are in the final stages of testing. There were some bugs encountered which has led to some delays and we want to ensure there are no software issues when we release it for you guys. Thank you for the patience. I will definitely update more on the progress in the following days.

Best regards,
Jamie
Jamie...

What's happening from mobvoi. You guys still not conformed when we supposed to get Oreo update....
Rest of the world already got it....
Why mobvoi is behind in update..

Please explain...

no avatar
Motorro

Post by Motorro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:02 pm

janbijdetijd wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 pm
To motorro,
There is also a safety-issue. I presume that with the upgrade to Oreo comes the most recent safety_patch?! Now is the version of the safetypatch on the watch from 2017 october 5. We are in risk!. :shock:
Yes you're right. But I'm not talking about security patches particularly. And! Next OS version brings more (different) security problems - thats an endless game..

no avatar
Motorro

Post by Motorro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Ogar1978 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm
Updates do not ussually break things.
While there could be some glitches they fix problems unless you are getting a major OS update.
That's the point - major OS update.
In my experience some updates were great, some not so great.
Even if we're talking on Android features (besides device manufacturer specifics) things sometimes become less convenient. That is IMHO of cause. Examples:
Android 6.0 -> 7.0:
- Voice recording API dropped from vanilla dialer.
- Power management optimized the way JobScheduler'ed tasks are not guaranteed to execute as scheduled which may ruin your sync scenario.
Android 7.0 -> 8.0:
- Power management further improved to disable headless background services without your app in foreground (only sticky will survive)

That's what forced me to change some of my usual "workflow" with the phone (to spend considerable time to search for alternatives or get accustomed to new features) and some applications still do not work as expected.

Not to say about problems the manufacturer comes across - to make custom hardware work in a new environment for example.
And here we have MT2601 chip in Ticwatch which is not so widespread as Qualcomm hardware found in other wear-equipment AFAIK.
Thus the delay (see board support) may be...

That's just a speculation of cause

no avatar
Motorro

Post by Motorro » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:43 am

All-in-all, what does OS updates mean to device manufacturer?
Customer pays nothing for OS updates on mobile devices (current business model).
Thus, updating your device manufacturer gets:
1) Your loyalty to the brand
2) Given you are a loyal customer, a way to make your device "less usable" for you to buy brand-new-designed-for-oreo device.

Couple examples:
1) Custom function buttons stop working on my top-of-the-line Lenovo and Dell PCs when upgraded to Win10
2) Voice recording stops working on my BQ Android phone when upgraded to Android 7 (works perfectly on my NEW BQ phone designed for Android 7)
3) Famous "we throttle your CPU to save your old battery" iOS update

And there is no one to blame - that is just a business model when you do not pay for device support

So, given all this we may expect one of the following (and thus the delay):
1) A solid and otherwise great update for Ticwatch E / S (buying your loyalty)
2) A brand new designed-for-oreo Ticwatch E+ / S+ :D

no avatar
Spider210

Post by Spider210 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:18 pm

This lack of support is concerning... I feel like we all got half baked hardware and now are stuck with it.

no avatar
maffle

Post by maffle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:26 pm

The "oreo" update is redundant anyway, it has no new features waht so ever. Way more important is support for the next one following oreo.

no avatar
jimrapc

Re: Android Wear Oreo. Status updated*

Post by jimrapc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

maffle: It is one of most important updates for many people here. Oreo update comes with native languages Belgium (Dutch), Czech Republic (Czech), El Salvador (Spanish), Honduras (Spanish), Nigeria (English), Paraguay (Spanish), and Portugal (Portuguese).

I am from Czech Republic so I want my (Czech) language on watch as in phone.