TicWatch Pro

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
Neil59000
Cash on hand: Locked

TicWatch Pro

Post by Neil59000 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am

Hi,
I thinking about buying one of these watches and i saw that for the TicWatch Pro, it's never said that it can run Google Maps, can it run it ?

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Re: TicWatch Pro

Post by Sabertooth » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Neil59000 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am
Hi,
I thinking about buying one of these watches and i saw that for the TicWatch Pro, it's never said that it can run Google Maps, can it run it ?
Greetings Neil59000!

Yes, it can run Google Maps on the watch (see screenshot).
screen 3.png
screen 3.png (63.74 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
LucaB

Post by LucaB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Running Google Maps - I have no problem with that. What I would like to know is, how am I supposed to use it on the watch?

I can zoom in and out with the +\- buttons and pan around with the touchscreen. If I tap and hold, I'm dropping a pin and then a blue tab labeled "Pinned position" appears on the bottom of the screen.
AND THEN?

I guessed tapping the blue tab would obviously have the app track a course from my current GPS position (which the watch knows, as it correctly locates it) to the pin I dropped. But, nothing happens. Long tap, short tap, tap and hold - nothing I can do with that blue tab.
If I slide it right it goes away. I cannot slide it left.

So how am I supposed to use Google Maps on the watch?
FYI, it is connected to an iPhone.

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 pm

LucaB wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 pm
Running Google Maps - I have no problem with that. What I would like to know is, how am I supposed to use it on the watch?

I can zoom in and out with the +\- buttons and pan around with the touchscreen. If I tap and hold, I'm dropping a pin and then a blue tab labeled "Pinned position" appears on the bottom of the screen.
AND THEN?

I guessed tapping the blue tab would obviously have the app track a course from my current GPS position (which the watch knows, as it correctly locates it) to the pin I dropped. But, nothing happens. Long tap, short tap, tap and hold - nothing I can do with that blue tab.
If I slide it right it goes away. I cannot slide it left.

So how am I supposed to use Google Maps on the watch?
FYI, it is connected to an iPhone.
Greetings LucaB!

I don't have an iPhone but here's the way it works for me. Proceed as you would normally to use Google maps on your phone. The directions will transfer to your watch and you can put away the phone and use the watch for directions and navigation. If it doesn't work like this for you, let us know. Perhaps an iPhone users like yourself can jump in.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:01 pm

There was some discussion in the 4G forum about using Google Maps as a stand-alone app on the watch. The WearOS app is not designed to be used independently of the phone. As Sabertooth mentions above, directions must be sent from the phone to the watch. Once navigation is initiated from the phone, you can follow it on your watch, but there is no way that I have found to initiate navigation from the watch app itself.

This is not a limitation of your watch necessarily. That is just the way Google designed the app. Whether your watch is connected via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or 4G, Google Maps is only an extension of the app running on your phone. It was not designed as a stand alone fully functional app.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator