Making calls over Bluetooth, no Verizon connectivity

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
ntpotter
Cash on hand: Locked

Making calls over Bluetooth, no Verizon connectivity

Post by ntpotter » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Can the pro 4g lte watch actually make a call out without hooking it up to Verizon?

I have not been able to as of yet as it seems to want to use the Sim card to call out.

no avatar
kozak65

Re: Making calls over Bluetooth, no Verizon connectivity

Post by kozak65 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:50 am

Does anybody know the answer to this? Placing a call from the watch while tethered to the phone via bluetooth, with eSim not activated.

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Post by garrywadams » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:58 pm

I believe this is a WearOS bug with the Phone app. If the device has a SIM card, the phone app on the watch doesn't try to connect to the phone app on the phone for outgoing calls. It only attempts to make the call over the SIM card. If you don't have active service on the SIM card the call will fail.

The phone app on the watch can answer incoming calls to your phone over Bluetooth, but will not establish outbound calls natively from the watch. You should provide feedback to Google through the Wear OS app. Open Wear OS on your phone, tap the three dots on the upper right then tap help & feedback & then send feedback. This will need to be fixed in an update from Google.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Turns out, there IS a way to accomplish this. It was buried in Bluetooth settings, not in the phone app itself.
First, navigate to Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth and scroll down to enable "Play phone voice call on watch".
screen.png
screen.png (21.76 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Now when attempting to make a call from the Phone app or from Google Assistant, you will be prompted whether to call from the phone or from the watch. Chose "Call from phone" and the call will use your phone for cellular, but the watch will play the audio for the call like a Bluetooth headset.
screen (1).png
screen (1).png (27.89 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I tested on my own TWP 4G and confirmed that calls placed with the phone app and with Google Assistant each give you this option now.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:29 pm

I do not have the "play phone voice call on watch" I have a twp4glte. Am I doing something wrong?

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:48 pm

michaelcox wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:29 pm
I do not have the "play phone voice call on watch" I have a twp4glte. Am I doing something wrong?
What menu are you looking at? Can you send a screenshot?
The screenshots above were taken on my TicWatch Pro 4G.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator