Build number NWD1. 171211.002

no avatar
bugi74
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Ticwatch E: Standalone GPS not working

Post by bugi74 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:02 am

Labosua wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 pm
Wrote to support twice, and got the same reply both times: you need your phone to be connected to the watch to have GPS.
The watch was specifically advertised that it does NOT need a connected phone (or any connection for that matter, except perhaps an initial connection at first fix (depends on software how it works) to locate and track. AND, it has been proven that at least some units can (or could) do it stand-alone before.

For example, my Ticwatch S got the first stand-alone fix I tried pretty much as quickly, if not quicker, than my galaxy S5 phone, even before I managed to step fully through the door to have clear view to the part of sky that is visible from my balcony. (I had expected that I would need to stand a minute or two with my wrist outside balcony to get the first fix, after which it would be faster... I guess the watch had received the approximate location from the phone earlier, using the phone's wifi/cell tower based location services, which made the first stand-alone GPS fix quicker.)

So, the reply from the support is indeed 100% nonsense.

(I have not updated my watch to its latest android wear version due to fearing I might also get this issue as a result of the update.)

no avatar
bahuta

Post by bahuta » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Will this Problem be solved anytime?
I'm really interested in this watch, but I need working GPS.

no avatar
FindersKeepers

Post by FindersKeepers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Just realized this did not work for me as well

no avatar
Matting

Post by Matting » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:01 pm

I have the same problem with my ticwatch S it worked perfectly up to 3 weeks ago and now the GPS is totally unservicable.

This is not good enough mobvoi. How do I sort this out?? I've paid for a GPS watch!

no avatar
mishlio

Post by mishlio » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Hello everybody, i might have a solution on the GPS standalone getting a fix problem. I had disabled the fitness app from Mobvoi, because I have read somewhere, that it drains the smartwatch battery a lot..After trying some solutions for the problem, I enabled the Mobvoi fitness app, and tried to get a GPS fix with it...it worked !!! After that I was able to get a GPS fix from Google Fit, Maps etc. without a problem. So my advice to everyone, who has GPS problems with the Ticwatch E, try this solution, it may work for you too.

no avatar
stevenelind

Post by stevenelind » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I have the Ticwatch S and my GPS wouldn't work either when disconnected from my phone. I solved this however by turning off the wifi and the GPS worked immediately. I'm not sure if this will work for any other Ticwatchs though. Mine did work good till an update but until they send out another update this is my fix.

no avatar
jonkrebs

Post by jonkrebs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 am

I've been facing the same problem with the GPS of my Ticwatch S not working :evil:

I requested a warranty exchange, did all the tests to verify it was really not working, sent back my watch. I've just received a brand new watch today and the same problem still apply!

Honestly, looking at all the comments online and also one of my friend having a Ticwatch E facing the same issue, I really start to doubt that there is a standalone GPS working in those watches.

Can someone of Mobvoi actually explain what's going on? Is there a solution?
Or is the only solution a refund?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

no avatar
SPierre

Post by SPierre » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:12 am

I have worked round this issue by switching on the always on display.

no avatar
Marijo

Post by Marijo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:15 pm

I confirm you, there is a standalone GPS in this watch, mine was working well until the last update.

TicWatch, need a fix please!