Runkeeper not compatible with the Pro??

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
ricthot
Cash on hand: Locked

Runkeeper not compatible with the Pro??

Post by ricthot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi,
I bought this watch explicitly to use with Runkeeper wear OS version, without having to carry my phone everywhere.
It is up to date and running Wear OS 2.6. Watch is brand new.

From the watch, when searching Runkeeper on Google Play Store, it doesn't find anything.
From a computer, it says Runkeeper isn't compatible with the Ticwatch device ?!?!
There is a wear OS version of that app, I've seen numerous videos of Ticwatch users running Runkeeper.

Only way I seem to be able to get a "Runkeeper" version on the watch is by going to the "apps on phone" section of play store, from the watch, scrolling down to Runkeeper and clicking install.
After installation and starting the Runkeeper from the watch, it asks me if I'll be running with or without the phone.
There is no Runkeeper login option anywhere.
Selecting with or without phone doesn't change anything, it then goes to a "start activity" screen. I can start the activity, pause it, and then stop it. After stopping the activity, all I get is a screen with a checkmark for a second, then back to the watchface.
In Runkeeper, there's nothing recorded...

Any Runkeeper user experienced this as well??

no avatar
mfrade

Re: Runkeeper not compatible with the Pro??

Post by mfrade » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi,

Yes i also recently came across an issue with trying to download the runkeeper app on my ticwatch. I can't find the app at all when searching through the play store. I don't have a section in the play store called 'apps on phone', so i can't verify the weird glitch you mentioned where you can launch the app without having it installed on your watch. But i can confirm on my end i cannot find anything resembling a runkeeper app on the google play store on my ticwatch.

I could not find any other instance of anyone having this issue besides you. So thank you for validating that i am not missing a step on my end. It seems the wear os app is not compatible with tic watches for whatever reason?

If it helps, i am running a ticwatch E. Please let me know if you come across a fix to this problem.

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Post by garrywadams » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 am

There are several good GPS running apps available on the TicWatch. TicExercise comes preinstalled and syncs with several online services such as Google Fit and Strava. You can also use the built-in Google Fit run tracking or download standalone apps such as Strava or Runtastic.

When searching apps in the Play Store from your watch, only apps that are flagged as compatible will show up in your search. If Runkeeper does not show up, it means that the developer has not marked it as compatible with your device.

I just confirmed from the Play Store on my TicWatch Pro 4G that Runkeeper does not show up as available on my watch. I recommend checking out one of the options mentioned above as alternatives. I've used all of them at one point in time and they all work very similarly to Runkeeper.

If you are already invested in that particular app and want to keep all of your workout history in one place, I recommend reaching out to the developer of Runkeeper and asking that they update their app for compatibility with your particular watch. (You can find the Runkeeper app in the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o&hl=en_US and scroll to the "Developer" section for information on how to contact them.)

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 am

I just realized looking at the data authorization settings in the Mobvoi app, that if you use the TicExercise app to record your running, it can sync your workouts to your Runkeeper account without needing to have the Runkeeper app installed directly on your watch.

If you have never set up data authorization before, please check out this post for information:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=53562

It is geared towards authorizing the Mobvoi app to sync with Google Fit, but the process is the same for Runkeeper. Please check it out and let me know if this solution will work for you.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

garrywadams

Post by garrywadams » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 pm

@ricthot, I just saw this news article starting that Runkeeper is dropping support for WearOS entirely:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/16/2080 ... rt-fix-bug

Looks like moving to another app will be your best choice at this point.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator