Pairing with Huawei P30 Pro

Moderators: Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
RonBurgundy
Cash on hand: Locked

Pairing with Huawei P30 Pro

Post by RonBurgundy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am

Hi all,

I've had my Ticwatch Pro for a year or so and it's worked very well, However, in the last few months I have purchased a Huawei P30 Pro and the connectivity now doesn't work.

I have reinstalled MobVoi on my phone repeatedly and unpaired the connection on the watch too.

Unfortunately, I always have the same problem that my phone thinks it is connected but the watch has a permanent icon at the top showing a cloud with a line through it and in Bluetooth settings it simply says P30 is 'disconnected'. Obviously, no notifications come through during this.

If I try to search for new Bluetooth devices I get a huge list of strangely named devices (such as 68:45:47:AB:EE:09 to take the top example).

Finally though, if I ask the Ticwatch to ring my phone - it does so straight away.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Re: Pairing with Huawei P30 Pro

Post by Sabertooth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:07 pm

RonBurgundy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am
Hi all,

I've had my Ticwatch Pro for a year or so and it's worked very well, However, in the last few months I have purchased a Huawei P30 Pro and the connectivity now doesn't work.

I have reinstalled MobVoi on my phone repeatedly and unpaired the connection on the watch too.

Unfortunately, I always have the same problem that my phone thinks it is connected but the watch has a permanent icon at the top showing a cloud with a line through it and in Bluetooth settings it simply says P30 is 'disconnected'. Obviously, no notifications come through during this.

If I try to search for new Bluetooth devices I get a huge list of strangely named devices (such as 68:45:47:AB:EE:09 to take the top example).

Finally though, if I ask the Ticwatch to ring my phone - it does so straight away.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Greetings RonBurgundy!

To begin with, can you provide information about your phone and the watch as follows.

Watch model number and build number and firmware version (you'll find this under settings/system/about on the watch).

Your phone make and model and android version (you'll find this in the settings/system/about phone/ hardware info and software info)

Do you have the Bluetooth connection between the watch and phone?
On your watch, open the settings/connectivity/bluetooth. Is your phone listed and shown as connected?
On your phone, open the settings/connected devices/bluetooth. Is the Ticwatch Pro listed?

You said have the Mobvoi app installed on your phone? Is your watch shown in the app as connected?
Tap the person icon and then tap About. What is the version number shown?

Does the Wear OS app show your Ticwatch? Does it show as connected (via Bluetooth)?
Tap the three dots on the right and select about. What is the version of Wear OS shown?

Aggressive battery optimization can sometimes interfere with the notifications. Please verify that battery optimization on the phone is turned off for the Wear OS app especially.

Moving to the watch, swipe down from the top to open the quick menu. The Do Not Disturb (-) icon, the airplane mode airplane icon and the battery saver battery icon should all be OFF. Tap the gear on top to open settings and tap on apps and notifications. Notification previews should be set to Normal. In Settings/Connectivity, Airplane mode should be OFF and Location from phone and watch should be ON. In Settings/Personalization/Accounts should have the same account as used on your phone.

With this information, I'll know what to ask about next. This is a process and may take a little time. If we can find an incompatibility, I may need to put you directly in touch with an engineer to resolve the issue. Please be patient as we work through the problem.

Note: the specific location of the information may be somewhat specific to your phone and android version so can vary from what I mentioned above in which case you'll have to hunt for it.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
RonBurgundy

Post by RonBurgundy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 am

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you and thank you for your offers of help. I've split up my answers below - hopefully this covers everything needed to help:

Watch model number and build number and firmware version (you'll find this under settings/system/about on the watch).

Model: WF12096
Build: PWDD.190121.005.A1
Firmware: ...I can't find a firmware number?

Your phone make and model and android version (you'll find this in the settings/system/about phone/ hardware info and software info)
Phone make: Huawei P30 Pro
Android Version: 9

Do you have the Bluetooth connection between the watch and phone?
Bluetooth turned on on both devices

On your watch, open the settings/connectivity/bluetooth. Is your phone listed and shown as connected?
It is listed but shown as 'disconnected'

On your phone, open the settings/connected devices/bluetooth. Is the Ticwatch Pro listed?
Listed and shown as Paired 'TicWatch Pro 0032'

You said have the Mobvoi app installed on your phone? Is your watch shown in the app as connected? Tap the person icon and then tap About. What is the version number shown?
3.9.0-491.315 (I think this is the right number)

Does the Wear OS app show your Ticwatch? Does it show as connected (via Bluetooth)?
Disconnected

Tap the three dots on the right and select about. What is the version of Wear OS shown?

2.25.0.254020683.gms

Aggressive battery optimization can sometimes interfere with the notifications. Please verify that battery optimization on the phone is turned off for the Wear OS app especially.

I believe this is done. Changed to 'manage manually' for battery and data warnings

Moving to the watch, swipe down from the top to open the quick menu. The Do Not Disturb (-) icon, the airplane mode airplane icon and the battery saver battery icon should all be OFF. Tap the gear on top to open settings and tap on apps and notifications. Notification previews should be set to Normal. In Settings/Connectivity, Airplane mode should be OFF and Location from phone and watch should be ON. In Settings/Personalization/Accounts should have the same account as used on your phone.

All done.

With this information, I'll know what to ask about next. This is a process and may take a little time. If we can find an incompatibility, I may need to put you directly in touch with an engineer to resolve the issue. Please be patient as we work through the problem.

Note: the specific location of the information may be somewhat specific to your phone and android version so can vary from what I mentioned above in which case you'll have to hunt for it.

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Greetings RonBurgundy!

Thanks for providing all that information. I know it's a pain but it really helps sorting out all the updates occurring to the various software components. I can confirm your software versions match my own and should be the latest available.

For the record, the lack of a connection all the time doesn't have to indicate an issue. The watch will actively manage the connection to optimize battery use so it can be OFF or disconnected for periods. That said, when a connection is needed it should be there.

You didn't mention specific issues caused by the lack of the connection. The time is correct? Are you receiving notifications? Texts? Phone calls? Are you syncing health data, i.e. steps, heart rate? Each of these are somewhat distinct so please state the updating status for each.
RonBurgundy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 am

I believe this is done. Changed to 'manage manually' for battery and data warnings
If battery optimization is ON. it can turn off the radios to conserve the battery and the connection can't occur then. Please be certain Wear OS is not battery optimized on the phone. Allow the Wear OS app to manage the battery optimization between the watch and phone.

I don't see any specific issues yet so drilling down a bit more may bring something forward.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator