Texting using Google Assistant

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
solman66
Cash on hand: Locked

Texting using Google Assistant

Post by solman66 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm currently connected to my phone only through bluetooth and have the mobile option turned off on the watch under settings.
Anytime I try to send a text through Google Assistant it prepares the message okay, but I'm prompted with a screen that gives the options of

Cancel
Send (via watch)

I do not want to send the message via the watch, I want it to send through bluetooth on my phone. I have tried tapping the send via watch anyway and it just spins for several minutes and eventually fails.

Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing to be able to send text via bluetooth?
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy s9 and I'm using the google messaging app as my messenger.

no avatar
kceb83

Re: Texting using Google Assistant

Post by kceb83 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm

You are not alone. I had the same issue to the point I am about to return it. And as far as I can understand if you activated mobile network on the watch it still uses the watch number and not your numbershare primary phone's number which defeats the purpose of this watch having LTE. Why would anyone use the watches number? So weird.

no avatar
Nightdiff

Post by Nightdiff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 am

I agree!Why would anyone want to use the watch number it defeats the purpose of the number share

no avatar
solman66

Post by solman66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm

kceb83 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm
You are not alone. I had the same issue to the point I am about to return it. And as far as I can understand if you activated mobile network on the watch it still uses the watch number and not your numbershare primary phone's number which defeats the purpose of this watch having LTE. Why would anyone use the watches number? So weird.
That's quite unfortunate. I think I may be returning mine as well. The primary reason that I wanted a wearOS watch was to use google assistant on my wrist, especially for text messages. I used that function all the time on my old moto360 before it died.

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:31 pm

solman66 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm
kceb83 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm
That's quite unfortunate. I think I may be returning mine as well. The primary reason that I wanted a wearOS watch was to use google assistant on my wrist, especially for text messages. I used that function all the time on my old moto360 before it died.
Greetings solman66!

I believe the watch receiving a different number has to do with how Verizon handles each device on their network. That's not my area of expertise so you should probably ask them why it works that way. That said, another 4G owner posted some information on how you can send messages through the phone (on a per message basis) instead of using the watches number, located here:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=54203&sid=57427219 ... f54cff2787

I was unavailable when you originally posted, sorry for the delay responding.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
solman66

Post by solman66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Sabertooth,
That post appears to address how to send a text using the messages app directly, which works fine for me. The issue I'm having is sending messages via google assistant. There is no option to switch to phone.
In the thread that you've linked kceb83 asked the same question
Can anyone use Google assistant to send a text from the phone's number? It forces me to use the watch number which is terrible implementation. I want to be able to say "text so and so" and it use my phone's number to send a text when I am away from my phone. How can such a basic functionality be overlooked.
and there has not been a reply to address that yet.

There is this hack posted in another thread, however, this seems to only work if you never intend to use LTE with the watch.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=53999&sid=20adcc27 ... 225#p64253

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 pm

solman66 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm
Sabertooth,
That post appears to address how to send a text using the messages app directly, which works fine for me. The issue I'm having is sending messages via google assistant. There is no option to switch to phone.
In the thread that you've linked kceb83 asked the same question

and there has not been a reply to address that yet.

There is this hack posted in another thread, however, this seems to only work if you never intend to use LTE with the watch.
Greeting solman66!

I saw it today and I'm still investigating the Google Assistant issue reported and will try to have information on that soon.

Regarding the Verizon different number issue, Verizon has a NumberShare FAQ with information here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support ... hare-faqs/

I was wondering if #5 in the FAQ might work to solve these problems by actually sharing the phones number? Not having a Verizon acct I can't really tell but it sounded promising.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
solman66

Post by solman66 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.
I am not a verizon customer either, so I can't help with testing the number share.
I can confirm that the hack of locking yourself out of your SIM will allow the watch to send via phone through google assistant. Since I'm not a verizon customer, I decided to test that. However, if in the future I decide to put the watch on a verizon plan, I will need to get verizon to unlock the SIM with a "PUK PIN" and will lose this functionality again.

Sabertooth, I saw your post in the other thread about turning Mobile off. That did NOT work for me. The only thing that worked was making the SIM unusable.

no avatar
edwardsjh

Post by edwardsjh » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pm

I have this exact same issue. I can not send a text using Google Assistant; I can send a text directly from my message app. Like others, I turned off "mobile" in settings but that did nothing to solve the problem. I am not a Verizon customer, and don't intend to use the LTe function on my watch at this time. I bought the Lte model because of the additional memory it has. Help, please!!!!

no avatar
solman66

Post by solman66 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:08 pm

edwardsjh wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pm
I have this exact same issue. I can not send a text using Google Assistant; I can send a text directly from my message app. Like others, I turned off "mobile" in settings but that did nothing to solve the problem. I am not a Verizon customer, and don't intend to use the LTe function on my watch at this time. I bought the Lte model because of the additional memory it has. Help, please!!!!
If you never intend to use LTE, then you can lock yourself out of the SIM and the watch will allow you to send via phone. You still need to tap the button, which is a bit annoying, but it works.
WARNING: This will render the SIM card of the watch completely locked and unusable. In order to unlock the SIM again, you'll need to enter PUK pin from Verizon. However, based on the amount of issues reported on this forum with even just getting this watch connected to Verizon, I have a feeling that you may be completely out of luck.

You need to go to Settings -> Connectivity -> Mobile
From there you I forget the exact steps because my watch is currently locked out and the menu items have changed. I think you need to enable "Require SIM lock" and then tap on "Unlock SIM" afterwards. From there, enter an incorrect password until it locks you out.

Credit for finding this workaround/hack goes to Jmchnaway