E2 always-on display

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
twyzeas
Cash on hand: Locked

E2 always-on display

Post by twyzeas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi folks,

I've just bought the new E2, switching from my old E (let's call it E1). So, basically I used the E1 in an always-on ambient mode with the gestures turned off. It can still hold off 2 days like this. I've come to appreciate this passive smartwatch that can track my activities, yet won't keep me notified all day.

The E1's ambient mode is pretty bright, and provides good visibility even in sunshine, which is great when it's your daily driver. The E2's ambient mode on the other hand is really dark, you can't really use it without turning on the regular watch faces. Is there a way to somehow increase ambient brightness (even from the dev options)?

One more thing I've noticed is the ambient mode of the default watch face LED (and many others) is different on the E1 and E2. While on the E1 you can see the full outlined version of the watch face (with all extra info like temperature, battery, etc), you have only the numbers on the E2. Why?

E1 on left, E2 on right. Notice the different ambient mode and the difference in brightness.

I bought the E2 believing it would be the perfect upgrade to my E1, but without these features it falls short compared to its older counterpart. Any tips with these?

Sabertooth
Bank: Locked

Re: E2 always-on display

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00 am

twyzeas wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm
Hi folks,

I've just bought the new E2, switching from my old E (let's call it E1). So, basically I used the E1 in an always-on ambient mode with the gestures turned off. It can still hold off 2 days like this. I've come to appreciate this passive smartwatch that can track my activities, yet won't keep me notified all day.

The E1's ambient mode is pretty bright, and provides good visibility even in sunshine, which is great when it's your daily driver. The E2's ambient mode on the other hand is really dark, you can't really use it without turning on the regular watch faces. Is there a way to somehow increase ambient brightness (even from the dev options)?

One more thing I've noticed is the ambient mode of the default watch face LED (and many others) is different on the E1 and E2. While on the E1 you can see the full outlined version of the watch face (with all extra info like temperature, battery, etc), you have only the numbers on the E2. Why?

E1 on left, E2 on right. Notice the different ambient mode and the difference in brightness.

I bought the E2 believing it would be the perfect upgrade to my E1, but without these features it falls short compared to its older counterpart. Any tips with these?
Greetings twyzeas!

You are correct that the ambient mode is different. It's actually because they are different versions of the same watch face. unfortunately whether to use the full or simple version of the ambient mode is up to the watch face and not selectable unless the watch face allows it and these variations of the LED watch face do not allow the ambient mode to be changed. The simple version is considered the most battery conservative. Each watch basically has a different version and there's no easy way to switch them..

Some watch faces in the Play Store do allow you to select the ambient mode. I like the Marine Commander watch face by Bosenko which has three ambient mode options, Monochrome, Simple and Full. Be warned that some display technologies (amoled and oled) can suffer from burn in where an image can become persistent after displaying for long periods.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
twyzeas

Post by twyzeas » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks for the answer! Is there any way (regular or adb) to change ambient brightness back to its strongest value? I can't see my ambient watchface during the day, but I've used to with the original E.

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:35 pm

twyzeas wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:04 pm
Thanks for the answer! Is there any way (regular or adb) to change ambient brightness back to its strongest value? I can't see my ambient watchface during the day, but I've used to with the original E.
Greetings twyzeas!

Unfortunately, ambient brightness can't be changed independently in most cases. Open the Settings on your watch and tap Display/Adjust brightness. You can chose settings from 1 (Dim) to 5 (Bright) that affect the overall brightness of the display. I could add adjustable ambient brightness as a feature request if you like? There's no guarantee it would be adopted but it would be considered.

We have a complete settings reference here: https://forum.mobvoi.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=54380.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
twyzeas

Post by twyzeas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Sabertooth wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Unfortunately, ambient brightness can't be changed independently in most cases. Open the Settings on your watch and tap Display/Adjust brightness. You can chose settings from 1 (Dim) to 5 (Bright) that affect the overall brightness of the display.

For me, no matter what brightness I choose, the ambient brightness stays on a very dim level. It seems that not only can't you change the ambient levels independently, but you can't change the ambient brightness at all.
Sabertooth wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:35 pm
I could add adjustable ambient brightness as a feature request if you like? There's no guarantee it would be adopted but it would be considered.

I would appreciate that, thank you!

Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm

twyzeas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:41 pm
I would appreciate that, thank you!
Greetings twyzeas!

I've suggested your feature request to the software product managers and added the suggestion to our list of user requested features. Should the suggestion be accepted into an update, I will update this topic.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator