Access to WiFi Networks

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
TimothyGaray69
Cash on hand: Locked

Access to WiFi Networks

Post by TimothyGaray69 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 pm

How do the WiFi networks work on the TicWatch E? I see all the saved networks from my phone are already on the watch.

The question is, if it tries to connect to a network that perhaps requires acceptance of terms of service - will it pop up with the web page to accept or will it need to do that if my phone is connected? At work I have to type in a username & password - will I have to do that on my watch as well or does that information come over from my phone?

Thanks!

-TimG

no avatar
TimothyGaray69

Re: Access to WiFi Networks

Post by TimothyGaray69 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:38 pm

I found this post:
https://support.google.com/wearos/answe ... roid&hl=en
Note: Your watch can't connect to Wi-Fi networks that take you to a page before you can connect (for example, Wi-Fi networks at places like hotels or coffee shops). It also can't connect to 5GHz networks.

Connect to known networks
As long as your watch's Wi-Fi is on, it'll connect automatically to Wi-Fi networks saved in your phone.
So that basically answers my question which is the behavior I am seeing here at work.

So my solution was to turn off WiFi on the watch. However, I still could not access the Internet (i.e. Google Play).

I fiddled around with my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8 on Verizon network). The watch shows as connected via BlueTooth and the status and settings appear in the Google Wear app. Under Connections on the phone, I went to "Mobile Hotspot and Tethering" and found a setting to allow "Bluetooth tethering". However, it would not let me turn that on while I was connected to a WiFi network. The only way I could get this setting turned on was to disable WiFi on my phone. Then when I turned that setting on my watch could access the Internet and download apps from Google Play.

So if you are connected to a WiFi network that your watch can't connect to, you also have to turn your phone WiFi off and use cellular data for your watch (and phone). This might be an Android 9 thing on the phone or perhaps a Verizon thing, I'm not sure.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Post by garrywadams » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:06 pm

TimothyGaray69,
Your watch prefers whatever connection your phone is using and will share that connection over the Bluetooth pairing that it communicates with for notifications and health data syncing. There is no need to enable hotspot.

WiFi on your watch will only use those saved networks if you are either:
1. Disconnected from your phone's Bluetooth connection (the watch will need data and yet to connect to WiFi)
2. Plugged in for charging

In order to save power WiFi only connects when one of the two scenarios above apply.

You can force your watch to connect to WiFi by navigating to your connectivity settings and forcing it to connect to a new or a saved network, but this should not be necessary if your phone is connected to a data network. Of your phone is connected either over your cellular carrier or over WiFi it will share that connection with your watch.

My guess is that your work WiFi may be blocking the Google Play Store, which may explain why you could not access it when you phone was connected to WiFi but it could access it when you connected to cellular service.

As for connecting to networks that require accepting terms of service, that is currently not supported on WearOS. It requires a browser to access the splash page, and WearOS does not have a browser. Given the challenges of making this an acceptable experience on a 2x2 screen, I don't see Google adding this to the platform any time soon. For the time being, you will need to keep your watch connected via Bluetooth to your phone while at the office.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
Motorro

Post by Motorro » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:23 am

I've experienced the same problem in my home Wi-Fi network. The problem was an MTU limit and the poor configuration of my provider that blocked ICMP at all.
Here is a reference of how things are working:
https://packetlife.net/blog/2008/aug/18 ... discovery/

TLDR, your IP packet being wrapped each 'routing point' to another packet reaches maximum packet size and being discarded. As long as ICMP is blocked somewhere in the chain between you and destination site router can't negotiate the maximum size that fits everyone and you keep loosing data. This 'broken link' may be any hop between you and destination server. When your watch traffic is routed through your phone it is wrapped again (presumably) and reaches the maximum size. That is why the same site will open on phone (less wrapping) and won't open on watch (plus wrapping). I've solved the problem by configuring router to explicitly split packets to smaller size. This loads router CPU and a duct-tape solution but things are back to work at least.