GPS issue with Samsung Galaxy Note10+

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
fatpaul
Cash on hand: Locked

GPS issue with Samsung Galaxy Note10+

Post by fatpaul » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi Mobvoi and all,

I have a Ticwatch Pro which worked with my previous phone, Galaxy Note8, perfectly. I used to run with the both watch and phone with me without any problem. The GPS tracking was accurate.
I change my phone to Note10+ in late August. From then, I find there are GPS tracking problem while my running.
I've done my tests and tried many settings but still cannot find a way to fix it.

Please see the picture below. The track I always run is around 4km. From you picture, it is obvious that many GPS locations in the track are wrong.

I also tried to use Ticwatch Pro and Note10+ to separately record my track, there is NO PROBLEM on both the watch and the phone. Please see another picture below. The phone and the watch track separately in the same one, the recorded 2 tracks are very normal, accurate and similar.

=> I've tried may times. The inaccuracy only happens with I run with Watch connected with the phone.

I don't think it is normal if the bluetooth needs to be disabled every before I run.

Would you please help on how to fix this problem? I have been upset by this issue for a long time. I tried to factory reset the Ticwatch Pro but still no use.

Dear Mobvoi Global Moderators and all, would you please help? Thanks in advance.

no avatar
fatpaul

Re: GPS issue with Samsung Galaxy Note10+

Post by fatpaul » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 am

<<Repost with adding teh correct link of the 2 images>>

Hi Mobvoi and all,

I have a Ticwatch Pro which worked with my previous phone, Galaxy Note8, perfectly. I used to run with the both watch and phone with me without any problem. The GPS tracking was accurate.
I change my phone to Note10+ in late August. From then, I find there are GPS tracking problem while my running.
I've done my tests and tried many settings but still cannot find a way to fix it.

Please see the picture below. The track I always run is around 4km. From you picture, it is obvious that many GPS locations in the track are wrong.
Image 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_sGr0 ... BGTJ6PMDJp

I also tried to use Ticwatch Pro and Note10+ to separately record my track, there is NO PROBLEM on both the watch and the phone. Please see another picture below. The phone and the watch track separately in the same one, the recorded 2 tracks are very normal, accurate and similar.
Image 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uKcM_ ... zMLzYDi66p

=> I've tried may times. The inaccuracy only happens with I run with Watch connected with the phone.

I don't think it is normal if the bluetooth needs to be disabled every before I run.

Would you please help on how to fix this problem? I have been upset by this issue for a long time. I tried to factory reset the Ticwatch Pro but still no use.

Dear Mobvoi Global Moderators and all, would you please help? Thanks in advance.

Sabertooth.
Bank: Locked

Post by Sabertooth. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:12 pm

fatpaul wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 am
<<Repost with adding teh correct link of the 2 images>>

Hi Mobvoi and all,

Image 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_sGr0 ... BGTJ6PMDJp

Image 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uKcM_ ... zMLzYDi66p

Greetings fatpaul!

The watch often times uses the GPS location from the phone and the location information accuracy can vary depending on the number of satellites that can be detected which is impacted by anything that interferes with direct line of sight to the satellites. The jagged line typically means that satellite connections were lost resulting in lower accuracy.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
fatpaul

Post by fatpaul » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi Sabertooth,

Thanks for your reply. Surely understand the satellite signal will impact the location calculated. However, it is not the reason here.

As mentioned in my post, I have tried many times (did many experiments). In the same track and similar weather:
- every time when tracking my running path while the Ticwatch Pro with is connecting to my Note10+, the jagging line MUST appear and exaggerating.
- every time when tracking my running path with the bluetooth at the Ticwatch Pro is disabled (i.e. not connect to my Note10+, there must be NO jagging line.

Thus, the satellite signal is not the reason. It seems the compatibility issue with Note10+ as there seemed no this issue when I was using my previous Note8 with the same Ticwatch Pro.

Is there any reason on this phenomenon? Any clue on this? Any action / step to be implemented to resolve this issue?

Sabertooth.

Post by Sabertooth. » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm

fatpaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi Sabertooth,

Thanks for your reply. Surely understand the satellite signal will impact the location calculated. However, it is not the reason here.

As mentioned in my post, I have tried many times (did many experiments). In the same track and similar weather:
- every time when tracking my running path while the Ticwatch Pro with is connecting to my Note10+, the jagging line MUST appear and exaggerating.
- every time when tracking my running path with the bluetooth at the Ticwatch Pro is disabled (i.e. not connect to my Note10+, there must be NO jagging line.

Thus, the satellite signal is not the reason. It seems the compatibility issue with Note10+ as there seemed no this issue when I was using my previous Note8 with the same Ticwatch Pro.

Is there any reason on this phenomenon? Any clue on this? Any action / step to be implemented to resolve this issue?
Greetings fatpaul!

I pushed your topic in front of one of the engineers to see if they have any suggestions. Your images are a great example of the GPS accuracy issues that some customers experience and having both phones really shows the difference. I can't promise anything but if I get something useful, I'll let you know.

Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
fatpaul

Post by fatpaul » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Sabertooth,

Thanks a lot for bring this issue to an engineer for resolving. I have the following suspicion on the reason of the GPS tracking inaccuracy while the Ticwatch Phone is connecting to the Note10+. If possible, would you please share with the engineer as well?

1. While start running and the watch start GPS tracking, the initial GPS coordinate is provided by phone (to watch)
2. in the middle of the run, by some unknown reason, some GPS coordinate cannot be got from the phone through the bluetooth => the watch try to get the GPS coordinate substitution from the watch itself instantly
3. at that moment, since the GPS chip in the watch itself still needs a long time to get the initial accurate coordinate, it can only get a very inaccurate coordinate at that moment as a substitution
4. later on for the next GPS coordinates, the watch can get from the phone again
5. the above point-2 to point-4 happen repeatedly => cause the inaccurate and very unstable track finally

This is only my suspicion but hope this idea can help. Thanks again.

BR,
Paul

Sabertooth.

Post by Sabertooth. » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:39 pm

fatpaul wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:30 pm
Hi Sabertooth,

Thanks a lot for bring this issue to an engineer for resolving. I have the following suspicion on the reason of the GPS tracking inaccuracy while the Ticwatch Phone is connecting to the Note10+. If possible, would you please share with the engineer as well?

1. While start running and the watch start GPS tracking, the initial GPS coordinate is provided by phone (to watch)
2. in the middle of the run, by some unknown reason, some GPS coordinate cannot be got from the phone through the bluetooth => the watch try to get the GPS coordinate substitution from the watch itself instantly
3. at that moment, since the GPS chip in the watch itself still needs a long time to get the initial accurate coordinate, it can only get a very inaccurate coordinate at that moment as a substitution
4. later on for the next GPS coordinates, the watch can get from the phone again
5. the above point-2 to point-4 happen repeatedly => cause the inaccurate and very unstable track finally

This is only my suspicion but hope this idea can help. Thanks again.

BR,
Paul
Greetings Paul!

A new version of TicExercise has been released that we hope will address this issue. Please update and let me know if there's any improvement. Open the Play Store on your watch, swipe down from the top and tap the My apps (overlapping boxes) icon on the right. Tap Update all to apply the available updates.

If it's still no good, please provide an image that I can show the engineer.
Sabertooth
Mobvoi Global Moderator