nfc payment fails

Moderators: garrywadams, Chintannapster, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

Post Reply
no avatar
diego2345
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:01 am
Cash on hand: Locked

nfc payment fails

Post by diego2345 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 am

Hi,

I have a problem with my ticwatch pro and nfc payments.

I think the nfc is one of the reason i buy the ticwatch pro because i want to use it to pay.

The problem i has is with the google pay app opened, the payments always fails the first time, always i need 2 or 3 times to pay and sometimes the watch locks and i have to unlock it to try again. For example yesterday i try like 3 or 4 times and it just doesn't work.

The problem is because if i have 10 people rear me to pay something in supermarket for example, i can't stay 3 minutes unlocking the watch, trying again, etc to pay, so if the watch fails one or two times i always use the phone to pay (with the phone the payment is instantly and never fails).

I think the problem is the nfc signal length, i need to stick the watch to the terminal to work, with phone with 1-2 cm of distance to terminal works fine. Is any way to improve the chip signal strenght?

Thanks!

User avatar
garrywadams
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: nfc payment fails

Post by garrywadams » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:53 am

@diego2345,
Sorry to hear about your poor experience with NFC payments.

I can tell you from personal experience with both th TicWatch Pro and the new 4G that Google pay NFC payments typically work very well. If you unlock the watch in advance and then open the Google pay app, it should stay open on the screen until a payment is processed, or until the app is closed. this allows you to get your payment method ready before walking up to the cashier.

My experience has been that I need about the same proximity for my watch to work as my phone, but I usually make sure that my device makes contact with the terminal in either case.

Usually when I experience a failed payment, the cashier will comment that lots of people have problems with contact list payments on that particular terminal. It usually works well though.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories on your watch? (Such as a case or screen protector). Can you also post your firmware version?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

User avatar
garrywadams
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: nfc payment fails

Post by garrywadams » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Thinking through your issue, your watch should remain unlocked as long as it recognizes that it is still on your wrist. That's what the low latency off body sensor is for. Once you enter your PIN or pattern to unlock it, it should remain unlocked until you take the watch off. You should not have to enter your PIN or pattern every time you launch Google pay.

Do you also have to enter your pen or pattern to unlock the watch for other tasks, such as opening the app tray or launching apps? Or is it only requiring this when launching Google pay?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
diego2345
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:01 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: nfc payment fails

Post by diego2345 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

garrywadams wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:53 am
@diego2345,
Sorry to hear about your poor experience with NFC payments.

I can tell you from personal experience with both th TicWatch Pro and the new 4G that Google pay NFC payments typically work very well. If you unlock the watch in advance and then open the Google pay app, it should stay open on the screen until a payment is processed, or until the app is closed. this allows you to get your payment method ready before walking up to the cashier.

My experience has been that I need about the same proximity for my watch to work as my phone, but I usually make sure that my device makes contact with the terminal in either case.

Usually when I experience a failed payment, the cashier will comment that lots of people have problems with contact list payments on that particular terminal. It usually works well though.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories on your watch? (Such as a case or screen protector). Can you also post your firmware version?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator
garrywadams wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Thinking through your issue, your watch should remain unlocked as long as it recognizes that it is still on your wrist. That's what the low latency off body sensor is for. Once you enter your PIN or pattern to unlock it, it should remain unlocked until you take the watch off. You should not have to enter your PIN or pattern every time you launch Google pay.

Do you also have to enter your pen or pattern to unlock the watch for other tasks, such as opening the app tray or launching apps? Or is it only requiring this when launching Google pay?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator
Hi garrywadams,

First of all, thanks to answer.

No, i don't have any accessories in my watch, i don't have any screen protection or case.

And my watch is unlocked, i can open all without enter my pattern, but if the nfc payment fails 2 or 3 times, the watch says something like "unlock the phone" (yes, it says the phone, not watch) and the watch locks and i has to put pattern again and try again.

And i do what do you say, when i'm going to pay i open the google pay app before and i only has to put the watch into the terminal.

And which is the firmware version? compilation version maybe?

Another thing, i do test with my phone, in my android phone i download the nfc tag info and i can read the nfc chip, well, the only way the watch works fine is if i put just below the nfc chip, if i put the watch a little different position (i'm talking about 1-2 cm, not more) the phone can't read the nfc chip of ticwatch, seems i have to put the watch perfectly below the phone nfc chip to can read the tag.

I bought my ticwatch in september 2018, it's possible a new revision comes after that and fixes the nfc performance or something?

thanks!

User avatar
garrywadams
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: nfc payment fails

Post by garrywadams » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:20 am

That's about the age of my TWP as well. I am not aware of additional hardware releases past that for the TWP. It sounds to me like your NFC radio has poor signal causing it to disconnect during transmission.

Have you opened a support ticket with Mobvoi?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
diego2345
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:01 am
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: nfc payment fails

Post by diego2345 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 am

garrywadams wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:20 am
That's about the age of my TWP as well. I am not aware of additional hardware releases past that for the TWP. It sounds to me like your NFC radio has poor signal causing it to disconnect during transmission.

Have you opened a support ticket with Mobvoi?

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator
i think the same... my nfc chip has poor signal. I'm in telegram group of ticwatch of my country (Spain) and i ask for this problem, some people says they has same problem and another people says it works perfectly, so i don't know what to think about this... only some watches has problems, maybe a manufacturing problem? i don't know. Now i open a ticket to Mobvoi (i don't know i can open a ticket, thanks for the advice)

Post Reply