Google Assistant issues

Moderators: garrywadams, Aathif Mahir, Sabertooth

no avatar
scrotor
Cash on hand: Locked

Google Assistant issues

Post by scrotor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:14 pm

In order to get Google Assistant to respond to me --Via voice command --from the watch, I have to re initialize the watch. After that, followed by a few required configurations, the watch works great.

Then, at the end of the day, i put my phone and watch on the charger and go to bed.

Next day- the google assistant from the watch will no longer respond to me via voice commands. The only way to resolve is to once again wipe out the watch and re-initialize.

Last night i read the post about not getting updates for the Google app.
So i uninstalled the updates. - no change, still had to re-initialize the watch to get it to listen for "hey google"

--WATCH
MODEL: WF12096
DEVICE NAME: TICWATCH PRO 0094

--VERSIONS:
WEAR OS BY GOOGLE: 2.17

HOME APP : 2.35.0.318473698

GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES: 20.24.14 ( 050300-319035315 )

SYSTEM VERSION: H

ANDROID SECURITY PATCH LEVEL: JUNE 1, 2020

--PHONE:
SAMSUNG GALAXY S7
ANDROID VER. 7.0

--PHONE APPS:
GOOGLE VERSION: 7.10.34.21.ARM64

WEAR OS BY GOOGLE VERSION: 2.38.0.318263762.GMS

MOBVOI VERSION : 3.15.0-838.423

Looking for any leads to start troubleshooting.

no avatar
scrotor

Re: Google Assistant issues

Post by scrotor » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:42 pm

UPDATE

So as I was searching though the system menu of my phone for anything pertaining to Google assistant, or the watch, I discovered that the Android OS updates for my phone was not set to auto.

I started the updates (there were approx 3, maybe 4 ) after about an hour of updating I removed the watch then reinstalled it.

I noticed the copying of my 2 Google accounts to the watch when a lot faster, like one minute. Before there would be a progress bar stating 5 minutes.

After the first night the Google assistant from the watch has been responding to my hey Google voice command.
Hopefully this will continue.

garrywadams
Bank: Locked

Post by garrywadams » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm

scrotor,
Thanks for the follow up and potential solution. It would make sense that an outdated OS on the phone could cause troubles here.
Please keep us posted.

-garrywadams
Mobvoi Global Moderator

no avatar
scrotor

Post by scrotor » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Here is an update:

So yes, My phone was due for many Android updates resulting in it now being Version 8.
However the problem did persist.

But, I did try one thing that may have solved the issue.

Before I'm done with the Watch for the day, and before i place it on the charger, I turn off Bluetooth and WiFi, cutting any means of communicating with my phone.

When i turn the bluetooth and wifi back on the next day, Google assistant continues to respond to my voice commands via voice response.

I've only started doing this for the last 2 days, so its inconclusive but i have my fingers crossed.

Another setting i've been using (which i don't know if it plays a role in this procedure) Is that when i use the watch, i've choose to keep the screen always on. And the battery life is able to make it through the day with ~ 25-40% I think it varies depending on how much the watch has to talk to me.

There is one function I think that could be beneficial to add. Is being able to set a time on how long the primary display stays on after being triggered. For some times when i'm using Google Assistant, as it's responding via voice to my commands, the primary display will shut off to low power display, resulting in the google watch voice getting cut off. - but this is not a consistent problem- only occasionally.